Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

15 T bodies

seawolf

Does anyone still make the 15 T bodies as in the pictures? Or is it a sectioned 23 body?

15t2.jpg

15t1.jpg

That IS a sectioned body. I don't know what year. I bought a 1917 body from a company in CA. I think Unlimited Products or something like that. They were The Only ones making the small firewall early model Ts.

Poli form
They make one but doesn't look like a true 15. If you have never seen a 15 you are in for a surprise you think a 23 t bucket body is small you need to see a 15. Fitting 2 guys in one of these is like putting a marshmallow in a piggy bank.Body is really narrow.

Accually the '15 body is the same size as the '23front to back and side to side. The difference is that the firewall is nearly 6" narrower. The body you pictured is a sectioned '15.

Ron

Here are a couple of pictures of a 1915 CCR Body that was at the 2010 Nationals. CCR doesn't list the body in their catalog anymore, but here is an old picture listing their body dimensions.

IMGP8574.jpg

IMGP8572.jpg

pg9-03.jpg

I saw BlownT's bucket the inside was much smaller than a normal bucket.That is one thing he said was a little problem with his room .

Thanks Bill. The diamentions shown are for a glass body. The stock bodies are vertually the same except for the firewall. If you set a stock body next to a repo there are many differences depending on the manufacturer. Some of the bodies are molded off of another glass body.

Ron

that orange bucket at top is a CCR 15 body. And I can say for a fact, CCR 15 and 23 bodies are NOT the same dimensions. From dash to rear the 15 is about 2" shorter than a 23. That CCR dimension sketch does not show width dimensions. The 15 body is about 2-3" less in width than a 23 body. I bought the 15 body because I thought it looked better than a 23. But you will be sacrificing room if you go with a CCR 15 body BELIEVE ME or not. If I were to build another one it would be a stretched and widened 23 body. Dave Koory used to make one I wanted but don't think he is around anymore. The CCR 15 body IS SMALL.

The Total Performance Anniversary body is patterned after a 15 body but that one has the same dimensions as a 23.

If I had used a 23 body I prolly would not have had to cut the bottom of the skinner body to clear the radius rods.

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad249/blownt/Problem1.jpg

http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad249/blownt/Problem06.jpg

Dont know if this helps but heres the dimensions of my 15 body. I did ADD 2" to the length.
Front to back 49.
Width at the cowl 39
Width at the back (widest point) 44
Height at the door 24
Height at the highest point (back of the body) 33.
This is a 15 body with a few mods so its probably not typical. I love the 'pinched' cowl of a 15 and thats why I went with it. By the way its quite comfortable. There are pics someone in past threads with the seat in and of the body on its own. (wish I could put up some pics but Ive run out of allocation)

Gerry

Yes it is quite comfortable if you are by yourself, but you best be real good friends if you have a passenger. I used to go out with my two boys and it was tight. Now they are 19 and 17 so only one gets in at a time now.

This is a 15 body with a few mods so its probably not typical. I love the 'pinched' cowl of a 15 and thats why I went with it. By the way its quite comfortable. There are pics someone in past threads with the seat in and of the body on its own. (wish I could put up some pics but Ive run out of allocation)

Gerry

i have a friend in california that has a mold for what you are looking for. if interested contact me and i will tell you how to contact him.

The '15 body on the Dan Woods, Contemporary Carriage Works, (CCW) Orange car shown here is typical of the sectioned bodies Dan supplied with his chassis or complete cars from either the late 60s or very early 70s onwards from his shop on Vermont Ave, Paramount, Ca. They were sectioned 3" through the firewall and body sides, with a 3" raised back and had a flared upholstery flange at the top edge from behind the door mouldings all the way around the rear of the body top edge.
I could be wrong but don't recall them being supplied to Dan from CCR. I seem to remember CCR only did a stock dimension glass '23, with or without a bobbed bed for their own T kits at that time.
Dan's '15 buckets were the only sectioned T bodies available in the USA at the time this Orange car was built and were styled on his original sectioned '15 bucket from the 60s. Maybe Wood's sectioned bodies were laminated by the same Co. as were the CCR bodies (?) I'll have to ask Dan.
I also remember Jay Orhberg (Mr. Roadster), began producing similar, sectioned '15 bodies (maybe a copy of Dans ?), sometime later than Dan - maybe 1972 or '73, which he supplied along with an Aluminum chassis frame.

I'm also a little perplexed by the show sign here which states this car was originally built for Bill Block. I recall (according to Woods), Bill Block's car was metallic Brown. In fact, I was with Dan Woods and Don Kendall at a show, maybe the Oakland roadster show (?), mid 1990s when we came across the Brown car which, I seem to remember Dan saying, was Block's. Dan was surprised to see it turn up again after so many years.
This Orange car here is very similar to one featured in R & C in the ealy 70s (along with 'White Lightning' a full fendered '23 roadster p.u.). But that car was 215 aluminum Buick powered, with a stock '15 shape Babb's Brass radiator and different top, but it also had a Steve Davis Aluminum gas tank just like this. Now I'm confused as to which car is which..... Anybody got any clues as to where I'm mixed up here ?

I produced both stock and sectioned '15 and '23 bodies here in England from 1968/9 onwards (the '23 style with the larger cowl & firewall was actually introduced by Ford in 1922 and produced until Nov 1925).
I did a 3" sectioned '23 roadster with stock height back. Also, 3" sectioned '15 and '23 roadsters with 3" raised backs. I also did a 10" shortened '23 Tourer and a 10" shortened & 3" sectioned '15 tourer with 3" raised seat backs. These were the first and only authentic style Ts bodies available in the UK for many years. I also did a number of '29 A body styles too and continued producing glass' bodies & chassis on & off for 25 years until 1993 when I lost the majority of my molds in a fire.

I have complete original Ford factory dimensions for 1915 and 1922 style Roadster and Touring bodies around somewhere and will try to dig them out. It's been a while since I knew all of this from memory but......
Both, '15 and '23 bodies are essentially the same size apart from details like cowl/firewall size & shape - if the '15 is narrower it's only a tad at the widest point (remember they both sat on the same chassis and therefore had to be essentially the same size), but I recall the '15 is higher in the body sides - which may possibly be an illusion due to the smaller firewall and tighter flare to the cowl, I'll have to find my body plans & check it out.
Also, the 1915 body was a transitional style from the early brass radiator to the later iron radiator cars. The 1915/16 with the Brass rad' used a box hood which fitted to a hood former (same profile as the Brass radiator), which was fixed to the firewall. The 1917/21 with the steel rad' shell used a formed hood to fit flush to the outside edge of the small firewall. The 22/25 with steel rad' shell used a larger formed hood to fit the larger/wider firewall. In 1926 the radiator and shell were raised in height about 5/8" to accomodate the new, even larger firewall of the '26/27 body style.
The reason why many people find the T roadster body too short is because : With the body sitting on top of the frame rails the seating position in original stock Ts was considerably higher and more upright, with 3" extra depth in the unchanelled body for legroom. With a hot rod T bucket, the body is normally chanelled the depth of the frame rails (3" or 4"), and the seating position lower, which naturally requires the pedals to be further forward than in the original cars. I found it helped to either, lengthen the body a couple of inches or, use thinner upholstery foam in the seat back and play around with seat base height and pedal position for optimum fit.
All model T and A bodies had a front seating compartment around 50"/51" long without upholstery.

Here's the dimensions for a stock (unsectioned), '23 roadster......
Firewall : H. 22". W. 27"
Cowl : L. 7.5"
Dash top : W. 37" (a 1915 round top windshield will fit with short posts)
Body sides : H. 21"
Back panel : H. 27"
Door, (to outside of moulding) : L 16.5". H. 18" (3" base of door to body lower edge).
Overall length (firewall to back top edge) : 51"
Overall width at body top edge : At front of doors, 39.5". At rear of doors, 43". Widest point at rear, 45.5"

Ed Wimble

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back