Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

1st Bucket Project

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Hey guys, I am the new owner of a bare frame, 27 body and front axle. I bought it all from a guy in Fl. The frame is welded up, with the front spring perch. It looks like a good job, I have not checked it for square. It is 3/16 material and heavy. I won't have to worry about burning through on any welds. The body seems to be at least 1/4 inch thick and made with a chop gun. It has the doors, but no dash, floor or wood. The axle is a 42-48 with the wishbones, spindles and tie rod. I hope to go to the Spirit Bash this week and see the answer to a lot of my questions. I will try to get some pics up asap, since I will need a lot of help and advise. I have an 8 and 9" rear and will probably go with the 8" since I hope to run a flathead. To get started, I want to mock up the front end. I need some drum brakes and would to find out what will bolt on the Ford spindles. I have access to some Ford 57 truck and 59 auto brakes. The wishbones have a dog leg about a foot from the front. I think I want to run tie rod ends in the end of the wishbones. I will do some searches to get educated on these things, but value any and all advise from you guys. I could go on and on, but need to take this one step at a time.

thanks,
railroad

Your at the right place Railroad. If it's been a thought there has probably been someone here that expiereinced it. Woo Hoo! Build on and post lot's of pics. :cool:

I belive those 57 Ford truck brakes will work on your early Ford spindles if they are square type (where the backing plates bolt). Check Speedway's catalog for an adapter kit. I believe it's for the seal or inside bearing.
Sounds like you are off to a good start. The main thing is to know what you want before you start building. It gets expensive changing stuff as you go.
Tex-T

The spindle flange is square. I looked at the 57 brakes. I would need new drums, if they would bolt up, due to the larger lug pattern. I want to run the 5 X 41/2. I looked at the instrument panel in the 57 truck,...speed o and 4 gauges. It might have a home.
If I run the wishbones, will I have a problem with adjusting the tilt on the front axle?

Maybe Don willrepost the pic of his front end fpr you. That will answer many of your questions about the wish bones. One thing i would sugest watching for would be a '37 to'40 axle. The 'bones mount closer together which will give you a smaller turning radius. I have heard that brakes past '56 will work but haven't tried them myself.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back