Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

!/2" plywood floor

Maybe not necessary, but convenient for bolting things to the floor, like shifter components, park brakes, etc.;)

If not more important than thickness, is the quality of the plywood .....cheap ply / osb , cdx , up through a/c are construction grade & not particularly high quality , most marine ply is made from better quality wood & adhesive more care is taken as the product is assembled.....It's probably a 1-time expense , get the good stuff...11-13 ply 5/8 is more than strong enough.....

Also you can buy it for about $32 a sheet and do not let some lumber yard tell you they sell something just as good because they do not.

Get the best quality plywood you can get. It is all that is holding your ass to the chassis. I was concerned with just the four bolts so I ran metal strips on top along the chassis frame and added additional bolts. I felt it provided more surface to hold on to. My concern are the seat belts that are bolted to the frame. They are nothing more than death belts.

When using some of the construction grade OSB, a lot of them are coated with a water proof/ water resistant coating to keep it from swelling up when it gets wet during construction. Make sure your resin that your using will "bite" into it when your fiber glassing it in.

Henry, I'm planning on using AdvanTech, and coating with fiberglass. Is the woven mat better than the chopped and shredded mat? I'm also considering a metal plate on top of the floor, ( my wife wants an open casket)

Last edited:
I'm no expert when it comes to fiber glass but, if your trying to make the glass form in more than two directions, the chopped mat will form better WITH OUT cutting or folding. "Paint" the advan Tech or any plywood first ( the whole thing, top & bottom even the edges, even the edges of all the cut outs and bolt holes) with the fiber glass resin (with hardener) only. The wood will drink it up, so keep wetting it out and then let it set. After it setts, you can do your glassing.
I believe the woven mat is stronger but the chopped mat is easier to handle and lay IMHO, check with your supplier.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back