Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

200-4R tranny experts?

PotvinGuy

Staff member
Anyone feel they are an expert on the 200-4R? I've been roaming the web and seeing all kinds of conflicting info re how and when they lock up the converter, and which lockup kit, if any, is the best, and what mods one should make to the tranny. It seems you can lock up manually, and/or by vacuum, or road speed or timeout after going into 4th gear. And what would be the best setup for a typical bucket (2000#, 400hp, cruising and some highway). And how important is the TV cable?

I have a 200/4R in my hot rod truck , built by a company in Ca. I don't have a lock up converter but noticed it won't go into O/D untill about 50+ mph, but this is controlled internally by the governor I believe , not the TV cable. I guess it's like the 700R4 and TV cable is VERY important, so I wouldn't drive it untill you get some reliable info on where to set it. Sorry I can't be of more help. Raptor transmissions have a huge website including 200/4R stuff.

TV cable adjustment very important, from what I know. My Grand National has a 200R4. I have heard the governor in these are different than the other 200R4's. Outstanding transmission.

John

TV cable adjustment very important, from what I know. My Grand National has a 200R4. I have heard the governor in these are different than the other 200R4's. Outstanding transmission.

John

TV cable adjustment is very important to pressure being applied to clutches/bands, and valve body. I recommend a manual switch for the T/C so you can engage when needed and it not be hunting engagement at low speeds.

Please read the GM manual on this transmission before you rebuild or do any adjustments so as not to ruin a good tranny. They are good for these light cars and hold up good as long as you don't have a gazzillion HP. Meaning, rear wheels should spin before the tranny/driveshaft breaks.

Anyone feel they are an expert on the 200-4R? I've been roaming the web and seeing all kinds of conflicting info re how and when they lock up the converter, and which lockup kit, if any, is the best, and what mods one should make to the tranny. It seems you can lock up manually, and/or by vacuum, or road speed or timeout after going into 4th gear. And what would be the best setup for a typical bucket (2000#, 400hp, cruising and some highway). And how important is the TV cable?

All I'm using is a adjustable vacuum switch for lockup that cost $29. There is also a 4th gear pressure switch that keeps the TCC from locking unless it's in 4th gear. I'm not using the brake switch to unlock at this time. I've not had any trouble with the TCC hunting either. I want to also install a manual switch to lockup the TCC in 2nd, 3rd & 4th, like that shown in the schematic below.

You may have already read this page, but it's the best info I have found on this subject.
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/LockupTCCWiring.htm

More info: http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/lockup.htm

Below is how I wired my TCC, except I don't have the manual switch yet. That will come with my complete wiring project.

200-4R_TCC_ElectricalDrawing02.jpg

Below is the pressure switch used and also noted on the drawing above.

200-4R_PressureSwitch_4384.jpg

I did complete all wiring inside the pan and this is what it looks like.

200-4R_TCC_Wiring_4439.jpg

I'm using the BTO TV cable kit with the braided SS cable housing, looks just like the Lokar cable. For me it did require some modification to the carb mounting bracket, but now it works without a hitch. Part of my reason for buying the BTO system is the compatibility with the Demon Carburetor. What carb are you using??? The kit is shown below.

FP01_BTO_Kit_4692.jpg

Adjusting the braided style cable and BTO system can be seen below in their webpage. You will need to verify your TV cable adjustment with pressure tests. This will require a gauge that can read 0-300 psi.
http://www.tvmadeez.com/tvcable_instructions/braidedcable.php

This is the kit I purchased from Amazon.

OTC5610_PressureTestKit.JPG

If you don't plan on going above 400 HP, then modifications will be mild to moderate in nature, but needed none the less. Talk about that in another separate post if needed.

What transmission are you running now?

Last edited:
Indy, thanks for all the good info and pics ane links. You obviously know that tranny. I'm running EFI and a 400 tranny. It's bulletproof, but I know the high-stall TC is slipping all the time and hurting mileage. But it looks like the 200 would slip right in where the 400 is, same mounting dimensions, maybe a different spline. I do like to experiment and am putting the 200 on my bucket list.

Last edited:
While you are waiting until you get started, I would keep my eye out for some rebuildable 200-4R. Buy TWO of them, it will make it easier to salvage the best of both trans to make one really good one. I can find them here for $35 to $45 each once in awhile.

Buy the DVD and books, especially this book by CK Performance. It's not cheap at $75.0, but it was the bible for me when building mine and it's the only book available for high performance building this trans. You won't need to perform all the mods, but that's up to you of course. All my major upgrade parts also came from CKP.

http://www.ckperformance.com/View/GM-2004R-TECHNICAL-MANUAL

Did you decide to stay with your TH400 or might there be a 200-4R in your future still???

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back