Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

207 MPH on two wheels

Yeah, I saw that. You have to wonder if he put any rake in that frame neck to help it track straight. Also wonder if he has special tires as in solid o-rings. I remember in the earl '70s a number of peroxide powered dragsters and go carts turning up. Once you lit it was on go fast until it ran out of fuel. No kill or shutdown ability at all. A number of riders ( I don't think anyone really drove them) that were killed in those things. Most notable to me was Russel Mendez down at Gainsville, Florida. That's probably about the time NHRA outlawed them. I either have a very earle NHRA spec manual to build the peroxide cars or a jet car but I can't remember. I'll have to check next trip home. Crazy men in crazy days for sure!

I remember seeing 'Captain' Jack McClure run his hydrogen peroxide go kart at U.S. 30, years and years ago. That was some scary stuff!

Back in '85 or '86, we were at a Division 3 points meet, up in Stanton, MI. Just as the program was getting started, on Sunday afternoon, it got really quiet, and we couldn't sort what was happening. Suddenly, I realized we could see a lot more of the race track from our pit area, than we could see the day before. It turned out that a section of the spectator bleachers had collapsed. The program was held up for a couple hours, as all the ambulances in the near vicinity were doing round-robin trips from the track to an area hospital. It was really grim.

Current Ford (at least for one more race) Pro Stock driver, Larry Morgan, was still driving the Castrol H/A Fiero, at the time. He had come over to shoot the breeze and one of his comments was pretty striking. He said he lived to race, that racing was what really got his blood pumping, but he had one rule - he would only race what he could get into, and that he had no desire to race what he had to get onto.

Watching McClure laying atop that go kart at 200+ MPH was pretty unnerving.

Imagine that, I even found an image of the 'Eye of the Tiger', driving that old Fiero.

morgan001.jpg

That is impressive. I wonder how that bike compares with the pro stock motorcycles for stability. I'd rather be in something at those speeds though, than on something. The fastest I've ever gone was about 130 in sprint car, and the wind was trying to lift my helmet off!! Thanks for sharing this cool video Mike.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back