Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

27 T Front Axle

railroad

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I have a collection of parts that I hope will become a 27 T. Recently someone offered me a frame from Total Performance with both axles, brakes and suspension. The price is not that great, but it has some extras, new radiator and shell, 350/350, beat up fiberglass 23 body. While looking at it, the front wheels seemed wide on the frame. The frame is 28 inches wide and 124 inches long. The front axle is 50 inches wide at the king pins. The rear axle, a 9" Ford was not as wide as the front.
I know I could adjust with offset wheels, but did not want to buy something I had to modify or could not use. My question is what front axle do I need for a 27 T ? I have 2 stock Ford I beams that are 50" and about mid 40". I do not have the exact measurement on the short one.

Maybe I put too much info in the question. Can someone with a 27 t measure their front axle and give me the width from king pin to king pin center?

thanks,

That axle width is your choice, As far as my thinking goes, the wider the better, makes it a lot more stable and lets you set it up so you can make very sharp turns, my car will turn around in a 22' circle, try that one. :) PLUS! The longer the spring, the nicer the ride, mine is 48" from tit to tip of my front spring... Just me here...

I've got a tube axle on my '27 that is pretty standard 48" center to center on the king pins (for tube axles). Its from Spirit, but it may have been sourced from Speedway. Most axles are pretty close to the 48" number. My rear axle is a bit wider as its from a S10 blazer--58" or so I think?

Most axles are basicly a Ford reproduction. As such they are 48". Some aftermarkets are 46".

Ron

That's true ... sorry for the miss-information. I tend to use those for trailer axles. Guess that's why I didn't include them.

That should have read ... "Most axles are basicly made after the '28 thru '40 axles. As such they are 48 inches k.p. to k.p."

Ron

thanks, that is what I needed to know. I will not use the 50" axle. I think it is just too wide on the narrow frame.

I measured the I-beam axle that we are using for our budget T build. Its an F1 truck axle and is the 50-3/8" kp to kp. I can deal with the extra 1" ea side considering it was basically free. Just got done drilling it with 1" holes tonight. We've got a few more to go and a bit of grinding and it should be pretty sweet for the $$.

I would like to use a 46-48 I beam in a nostalgia race only t bucket. It has a 52 inch kingpin width. Anyone got any info on this one way or the other-good or bad idea? I plan on setting the front frame height with the front perch. I plan on a 348 chevy and glide, so Ill be using a multi leaf spring-maybe 2 leaves? Thanks! Bob

Shouldn't be a problem there. I would sugest using more leafs in the spring pack tho. With that big heavy motor you will want a stiffer spring up front to add in weight transfer to the rear axle.

Ron

Shouldn't be a problem there. I would sugest using more leafs in the spring pack tho. With that big heavy motor you will want a stiffer spring up front to add in weight transfer to the rear axle.

Ron

Sorry Ron but that is incorrect. A softer spring will allow the front suspension to lift easier allowing weight transfer faster. It will also make the car bouncy if you know what I mean. :)

I stand corrected.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back