Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

27 T truck build

The 472-500 cad is about 70 lbs. heavier than a SBC , both in stock form ..
dave

That is correct, change out the cast iron intake for an aluminum one and you probably knock 30 lbs off of that.

The big torque numbers down at low RPM is what attracted me. I wanted a highway cruiser, not a red light to red light bandit.
I have a 3:42 rear in it and with an OD trans, if I figured it right it will turn 1800 RPM at 70MPH

The beauty of them is you don't need the high rpm because of the torque, just plan the rearend and tranny around it. We have used them in several low buck builds, the real issue from my perspective is the oil pan sump is wrong for most swaps and requires enginuity.

You can really feel the torque when you floor it from a standing start. My car reacts to by pulling hard to the right - it scared me the first time I did it and and had to learn to anticipate that. These engines were designed for smooth low RPM operation in cars that probably weighted 5,000 pounds or more. In a light car, you can just image how they pull. I decided to look up accurate weight amounts for a 500 ready to run, and 620 pounds was one reference I found. It is heavier than a small block Chevy as 2old2fast said, but about 70 pounds lighter than a stock big block Chevy. The weights I found were supposed to be for completely stock engines. As Ron mentioned, the stock intake manifold is heavy, and it is also restrictive to good flow because it is dished down from the heads to the carb so it would fit under the hood of the Cadillacs of that era. I have an aluminum Edelbrock manifold that is properly designed - it mounts a spread-bore carb but a square bore cab be easily adapted. There are a few other brands of aluminum intake manifolds available also. Not only is there a weight reduction, but horsepower increase due to better flow characteristics.

Sounds like a Caddy 500 would be a good a less common cruiser powerplant

Lou wrote,
My car reacts to by pulling hard to the right
G'Day Lou, do you have an LSD fitted, non LSD diffs only drive thru the LH wheel, which could account for the pulling right you're experiencing.
Regards,
Mike.

Mike
I am not running an LSD - a 9" Ford with an offset center section. When car was built (by someone else) I believe they may have narrowed it but not sure. The driveshaft angles slightly to the right so if they narrowed it I guess they didn't try to compensate for the offset. I haven't had any u-joint problems so I am assuming an angled driveshaft may not be much of a concern but could be the reason for the pull. It isn't a problem under normal street driving because I rarely start with much throttle and drive at moderate speeds. This is the only hot rod I have ever owned or driven, so I don't have a basis for comparison to other engine/rear end configurations.

Dont forget torque reaction.....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back