Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

5 x5 1/2 Brakes

Studebucket

I want to run four wheel drum and here is the issue. The stuff I know of (F-1, F-100, aftermarket) is all 5 x 5 1/2. All the back axels I can think of other than a banjo or something I can't find brake parts for is 5 x 4 1/2 to 5x5. It may seem trivial but I want all the wheels to have the same bolt pattern. Anyone know of a goo junkyard find axel with 5x5 1/2? Thanks.

The only one that comes to mine at this moment is a '49 -'50 Merc. Some of the early Mopars also had the 5-1/2" on 5 layout.

Ron

I think(bad thing to do:lol:) that the early Ford Bronco 9" rearends were 5 x 5 1/2. They were pretty narrow too.

Mike

Hotrod46 said:
I think(bad thing to do:lol:) that the early Ford Bronco 9" rearends were 5 x 5 1/2. They were pretty narrow too.

Mike

in my best Ed McMahon "Yes! You are right Sir."

Ok, so what lug pattern is your front end ?
If you are looking for 5 on 5 1/2" lugs, Early (up into the late 80's??) were 5 on 5 1/2" in the 1/2 ton ford PU models. And Vans also in the E-150, I'm using one...
Yes the Broncos are also 5 on 5 1/2, The BIG broncos.
Jeeps are another source, the older ones...Not sure bout the newer stuff.
I SUGGEST YOU
Check around for wheels !! If you are using 5 on 5 1/2" you will be a little restricted as to how many different width and types of wheels are available to you.
Steel wheels are not a problem but big wide aluminum wheels will not be found. You may have to go to adapters or have the axles/drums/hubs redrilled....
I have a Ford/MOPAR 5 on 4 1/2" patern on the front and I am using the 66 Bronco Narrowed 9" housing on the rear with a set of 86 Ford E-150 Van 31 spline axles , with 5 on 5 1/2" patern, drum brakes. "BH"

Another option for a rearend, thats not real wide is a Suzuki Samurai. The same 5 1/2 on 5 pattern. Plus a dropout third member, so a clean pumpkin.

I guess I should clarify. I want to run 4 wheel drum for a 60's style bucket. Other than the Ford F1 brakes, which are 5 x 5 1/2, what other drum brake options for the front are out there. I would perefer to run 4 1/2 or 4 3/4 wheels all around.

I'm running early Chevy spindles and drums, around '52 I think. Then had the ford rearend redrilled for the Chevy lug pattern. Also you may be able to redrill the F1 hubs to what you want.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back