Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

9 inch ford

JonRod1962

It's time to assemble the rear end. I have new torino housing ends welded on done with alignment bar.
New axels new bearings.

I tried to slide the axles in without the center section. The bearing are a very tight fit. I tried tapping them in with a hammer, but they don't want to go in.

That sure don't sound good. The welding if close to the bearing seat may have caused the seating area to shrink. Might try pulling the bearing in place with the retaining plates. If they do go in, check for any binding.

It's time to assemble the rear end. I have new torino housing ends welded on done with alignment bar.
New axels new bearings.

I tried to slide the axles in without the center section. The bearing are a very tight fit. I tried tapping them in with a hammer, but they don't want to go in.
New axels new bearings.

Measure the bearings.

Screenshot-2019-12-1 FORD TORINO Timken Wheel Bearing and Seal Kits SET20 2.jpg

Screenshot-2019-12-1 Strange Axle Bearings A1021 2.png

I was able to borrow a set of calipers. The bearing is .010 smaller than the housing so it should fit. I'm going to try putting the center in to help align the axles.

Well I would say the bearing ends are egg shaped from the heat when the ends were welded back on.

Having the 3rd member in will help w/alignment. I've always had to tap mine in and use an axle puller (slide hammer) to get them out. But if it comes to beating them in some thing is wrong.

I put the center in and the left axle went in with a couple hits with the hammer. The right still wouldn't go in. I measured it again and it was 5/8 too long. Cut it again and it went right in. I love cut to fit axles.

I put the center in and the left axle went in with a couple hits with the hammer. The right still wouldn't go in. I measured it again and it was 5/8 too long. Cut it again and it went right in. I love cut to fit axles.

Glad you got it fixed!! But as usual I ass u me d the bearing would not go into the housing because of the end or the bearing, not the axle being too long..My bad again.
I miss read a lot of things so it seems.

Glad you got it fixed!! But as usual I ass u me d the bearing would not go into the housing because of the end or the bearing, not the axle being too long..My bad again.
I miss read a lot of things so it seems.
I too, assumed that the housing may have been warped because his initial post about it was without the center section installed so axle length wouldn’t have been a consideration. I am also glad that he figured it out.

Yup, that's what he said.

I read well and comprehend what I read. My Bad.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back