Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A bit more progress

This is 9 coats with about 20 minutes drying time on each coat. So it takes a while.

It's so thin you have to stand back and kind of dust it on. Like spraying water.

8-9-15 6.JPG

Polyvinyl Alcohol. To keep parts from sticking together.

View attachment 11587

Sprayed in light coats, (3 to 10 coats) it builds up a barrier between the plug or mold and the finished part.

You can spray it on foam, plaster, wood, etc.

Peels off easily when done and looks like a layer of green Saran wrap.

This new version is low VOC and has even heavier solids.

View attachment 11588
I looked at some of that today here in Nashville at advanced plastics.

Thanks for the info. The work you do is amazing. Where do you get most of your supplies? Does the gel coat come a bottle? Do you buy the fiberglass in big roles? This is my first time building a car. So everything is new to me. All you guys have been very helpful. Thanks

I actually get a lot of supplies from eBay sellers. I have a local retail place but they're really expensive. I get polyester resin in 5 gallon buckets. Gel coat comes in pint, quart and gallons cans. I buy MEKP by the quart. I search for the best deals on glass cloth and mat. Some times just a few yards of a specialty weave, some times whole rolls of mats or tapes. It's all cheaper in higher volumes and quantities.

The only thing I buy locally are disposable 1 1/2" brushes from Harbor Freight. I think it's a box of 30 for like $12.00.

Here's some links:

http://stores.ebay.com/greatlakesskipper/Boat-Fiberglass-Maint-Items-/_i.html?_fsub=16523519

Items in Fiberglass Coatings store on eBay!

fiberglass mat tissue or veil, fiberglass cloth fabrics items in Midsouth FRP Supply store on eBay!

Items in Pro Marine Supplies store on eBay!

Here's what PVA looks like after it's done it's job.

1.JPG
2.JPG

What weight chopped strand are you using or recommend? I'm thinking about making my own fenders if needed by the DMV.

What weight chopped strand are you using or recommend? I'm thinking about making my own fenders if needed by the DMV.

.9 oz surface veil or 3/4 oz. cloth against the gel coat to start.

Then 1.5 oz. mat is the most useful. 5 layers will make around 3/16".

2 oz. mat can get tricky getting it to wet out.

Also, on something like fenders with lots of contours, consider adding a couple of layers of woven cloth into the mix. A 2x2 twill weave will conform to the contours easily and give the finished part a lot more rigidity.

cloth.jpg

Thanks for the info. The work you do is amazing. Where do you get most of your supplies? Does the gel coat come a bottle? Do you buy the fiberglass in big roles? This is my first time building a car. So everything is new to me. All you guys have been very helpful. Thanks

Really good sale on now for chip brushes and nitrile gloves.
36 Piece 2 in. Industrial Grade Chip Brushes

Holy cow I'm tired.

Each one of these stacks is 5 layers of 2oz. mat. Should end up around 1/4" thick.

It took 3 weekends to prep all 230 pieces.

9-5-15 2.JPG

And 2 1/2 long days to lay it all up. I'll pop them out of the molds next weekend.

9-7-15.JPG

You truly are a dedicated craftsman!

Jim

Holy cow I'm tired.

Each one of these stacks is 5 layers of 2oz. mat. Should end up around 1/4" thick.

It took 3 weekends to prep all 230 pieces.

View attachment 11616

And 2 1/2 long days to lay it all up. I'll pop them out of the molds next weekend.

View attachment 11617

Respect the heck out of your work ethic. And the quality. Do you rent a space for this construction and does the maid come in and clean on off days?

John

This ia actually my bay at work. I have a cool boss.

I keep it clean to show my appreciation for the space. And I have to park my cab over work truck in here at night.

This aint Fair.... My car is ashamed to peek out of garage after seeing this. Lol...makes me wanna become s better builder. Raised the bar.

All that glass work looks great. Going to be one of a kind for sure. Are you keeping the molds for future use?
Lee

You guys are too much. I do appreciate it though. Honestly, I'm afraid to add up all of the receipts to make these seat shells.

Next I'll close up the void around the backs and continue the waterfall between.

I've always liked this photo.
Seats and waterfall.jpg

All that glass work looks great. Going to be one of a kind for sure. Are you keeping the molds for future use?
Lee

The passenger side wouldn't do anyone any good as it cuts in and contours around my e-brake/center console.

But someone could make two seats from the driver's mold. These are basically fiberglass bomber seats. The inspiration came from Corvette clam shells.

They do have these recesses in the upper area to tie them together. But that could be cut out of the mold and made to not have it.

8-1-15 4.JPG

The recesses (and my OCD) are the reason the molds needed to be 2 piece.

I'll get measurements on them tomorrow. I'm not sure if two of these would fit the width of a standard body.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back