Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

Thanks.

I know the lights look huge sitting there. But a 1/2"+ of the outer lenses get covered when mounted inside.

The car will be some sort of warm dark metallic gray and the lights will be converted to LED and have a 50% smoke on them.

I just went back to your door adventure and wondered why you built a mold for the door.

Back when I made up the body mods to the tub (plug and then mold), I was only dealing with the front half. Somewhere on the site I have a post titled "The joining of two halves".

3-31-13 2.JPG

6-2-13 4.JPG

6-23-13 3.JPG

So there were glassed over glued seams and not so strong lams in the area. I could have added to the existing glass but I replaced the whole door area with a stiffer laminated skin much better suited for the job.

7-13-13-4.JPG

I just went back to your door adventure and wondered why you built a mold for the door.

That's the long answer. The short answer is - my Obsessive Compulsive Demons made me do it.

Amazing work Chopp Beautiful.

Thanks.

Progress has slowed a bit lately. After 11 years living in apartments, my bride and I are moving into a new house. (along with a healthy California size mortgage). So while I've still been doing little things to the car, my focus has wained.

I'll have my own 2 car garage as a blank canvas, but it's going to be tight. And I'll have to build it up from scratch.

Thanks.

Progress has slowed a bit lately. After 11 years living in apartments, my bride and I are moving into a new house. (along with a healthy California size mortgage). So while I've still been doing little things to the car, my focus has wained.

I'll have my own 2 car garage as a blank canvas, but it's going to be tight. And I'll have to build it up from scratch.
Life gets in my way too! You will get there.

The minimal ground clearance on my oil pan and headers has been bugging me. I gained an inch this week end by changing my front spring hangers from these . . . . .
Old Hangers.jpg
. . . . . to these.
New Hangers.jpg
Still low, but I feel a whole lot better.

Hows the new house?

Hows the new house?

We move in next week end. There's a ton of work to do. No window coverings. A dirt back yard and a bare bones garage.

To keep the peace with the wife, I'll move the car down there later. It's safe where it is for now.

Awesome stuff, as always. I'd love to see some detail pictures and discussion on how you hung the front spring off the wishbone. I was hoping to do the same in my next build. Are you using original bones?

Awesome stuff, as always. I'd love to see some detail pictures and discussion on how you hung the front spring off the wishbone. I was hoping to do the same in my next build. Are you using original bones?

They're Speedway's bones. They already have a 1/2" bore through the casting at the front that's 1 5/8" thick.

Here's a pic of the one's I had on there. 1 1/4" X 3/4" DOM to match the spring eye. 1.81" to the spring's width. A grade 8 long shouldered bolt (cut the threads to length) with the head turned down and welded on center at 1 1/2° to account for the splay of the bones.

DSCN1973.JPG

And the new ones. I like to run 2" shackles with bronze bushings. The new ones have the bolt 9/16" lower.

DSCN1974.JPG

Here's a pic from 2014 on how I determined the 1 1/2° angle I needed on the mounting bolts. I knew the frame width at the rear mounts and had the bones clamped.

This set up allowed for tack welds on the bench. The jig ran parallel to the axle and was the same on the other end. Just pushed the bolts through until they hit the tubes and tack welded.

hangers angle.JPG

That jig is great. Wonderful idea. Thanks for the pictures.

What are your thoughts on additional bracing/support for the spring perch? Seems like a lot is riding on that welded grade 8 bolt.

That jig is great. Wonderful idea. Thanks for the pictures.

What are your thoughts on additional bracing/support for the spring perch? Seems like a lot is riding on that welded grade 8 bolt.

You're right. The whole design has always made me nervous. Especially hangers that only go through a thin bat wing. There's a lot riding on those never failing.

With these the shoulders are completely supported by the bores in the forgings, so if these hangers decide shear, it'll be right where the heads meet the bones.

Crossing my fingers.

Nice! Those look like mine. Except your welds are a lot better.

I tried to drill my bones larger years ago, but they were really hard in that area. A standard 5/8 drill bit wouldn't touch it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back