Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A Bit More Progress

That's awesome, chop! Your work is always top notch. Can't wait to see this baby roll out of your garage under its own power! :thumbsup:

Thanks Spanky.

The redesign got rid of the long spacers and let me mount the shocks more into and under the crossmember.Slide1.jpeg

I'm finally getting this fuel tank mounted.

9-17-20.jpeg

It's rubber mounted to the four 3/8" threaded bungs in the tank.

9-17-20 2.jpeg
9-17-20 3.jpeg

I'm also going to shorten this overhanging section. It's unlikely that the rear end will travel high enough to hit the tank, but it just bugs me.

9-17-20 4.jpeg

And I moved the supply and return lines to the back with bulkhead fittings. I'll be able to route the lines under the frame.

9-17-20 6.jpeg

Been slowly working on this waterfall section. Mainly on the weekends.

10-11-20 4.jpeg

Some reworking on the plug. A plug can be made from any material. Foam, clay or even paper mache. Anything that can be molded. I just like the precision of wood and body filler.

10-11-20.jpeg

Since I'm only needing the shape at this point and don't care about the finish, any bare wood was covered with foil tape.

10-11-20 6.jpeg

A good waxing and 10 light coats of PVA.

10-11-20 7.jpeg

Tooling gel coat, layup and bracing.

10-11-20 8.jpeg

10-12-20 3.jpeg

The mold's overlap allows it to be fastened with clecos. I'll pull the whole thing out as one piece and lay up the inside. I do however have to make the waterfall in 3 sections. The middle section needs to be removable to get to the seat and battery brackets. So I'll have to come up with a way to hold it in place.

last.jpg

You're my hero. Looks like you're using mdf.

I absolutely love to use it for mold making. It's easy to work with and can be glued together in seconds with a gel super glue. It comes in 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" and 3/4" thickness.

Have you thought about magnets? Seen some excellent interior sections held together with Neodymium Magnets.

Very strong, easily mounted and reusable an infinite number of times. Available in numerous shapes and sizes. I use 2 of them to hold a LED spot light on my milling machine so illuminate the work area. Quick and simple to move and redirect the light.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Del City has these Mag Daddy panel fasteners on sale. Maybe I could get them to work.
mag.jpg

Those are great.

It's kind of hard to explain but I'm thinking of having opposing magnets in some male/female interlocking shapes like this molded into the flanges.

mags.jpg

Have you thought about magnets? Seen some excellent interior sections held together with Neodymium Magnets.

Very strong, easily mounted and reusable an infinite number of times. Available in numerous shapes and sizes. I use 2 of them to hold a LED spot light on my milling machine so illuminate the work area. Quick and simple to move and redirect the light.

One really cool thing about these Neodymium magnets is that they self align. Every time.

Anyone consider the possibility of damaging credit cards or delicate electronics with the magnets? Just a thought. In one of my past lives I serviced and installed x-ray equipment and was around MRI and various other imaging equipment so I can’t help but recall precautions, etc. I do like the idea, not trying to dampen the parade, lol.

Good point. Probably not a good idea near any electronics.

I need to round over these door jamb and sill areas.

DSCN2945.jpeg

I normally use my laminate trimmer but it has a base that's about 2 1/2" around and won't fit in there. So I rigged this up for tight areas.

grinder.jpg

A piece of 1" sprinkler pipe and half of a coupling. It's actually very stable and works great.

DSCN2946.jpeg

DSCN2947.jpeg

Home built works every time...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back