Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

A place to rest my butt!

Thanks for the great information Fred! I have a CCR body also that I am putting a new interior in. Your pics are a huge help to me. Can I borrow / steal some of your designes...lol?

engine24355 said:
Thanks for the great information Fred! I have a CCR body also that I am putting a new interior in. Your pics are a huge help to me. Can I borrow / steal some of your designes...lol?

Take any info or ideas you want! When I post what I've done, it for the benefit of everyone. On the flip side, if you see something I've done that looks like it isn't safe or could be done better, please, let me know. Sometimes, I feel like a blind man feeling my way.

Thanks Fred! I am no T expert, but learning so much from you guys. I really enjoy watching your build progress along with the others. I cannot say you are doing anything unsafe so far. Keep up the great information posts and thanks again. I need to get down your way and check out your ride.

engine24355 said:
I need to get down your way and check out your ride.

No problem! You can have a ride too. I need another set of eyes to check for cops until I get her legal!:welcome:

Just kiddin'. I'm REALLY trying to hold my "road tests" to a minimum.;) Once she's legal though, you're more than welcome.

Fred, just a thought on the hinge placement. If you use the entire seat base and hinge that it could become a slight problem after the rest of the upholstery is installed. This is because of the padding that will be at the back of the seat. If the seat is hinged from the rear it will hit and you will not be able to rasie the seat bottom very high. And most times the lower seat cushion slides under the the rear and thus wouldn't be able to hinge forward. Several people I know and myself inculded have made a seperate panel (3/8 plywood) that the seat cushion is installed so it can be reomved and you can rasie the lid on the seat compartment. A couyple of pins will keep it from moving around if the fit isn't tight enough.Just a little food for thought.Randall

Tbucit said:
Fred, just a thought on the hinge placement. If you use the entire seat base and hinge that it could become a slight problem after the rest of the upholstery is installed. This is because of the padding that will be at the back of the seat. If the seat is hinged from the rear it will hit and you will not be able to rasie the seat bottom very high. And most times the lower seat cushion slides under the the rear and thus wouldn't be able to hinge forward. Several people I know and myself inculded have made a seperate panel (3/8 plywood) that the seat cushion is installed so it can be reomved and you can rasie the lid on the seat compartment. A couyple of pins will keep it from moving around if the fit isn't tight enough.Just a little food for thought.Randall[/quote.....Rick here.............When you have the fabric and foam in the car that seat fits pretty tight i have not had to do a thing and it doesn't slide but if you want to make sure mark off the bottom of the seat with it in place then glue some 3/4 ply blocks under the seat to hook in behind the riser. Rick

:)Gee! I'm FINALLY ahead of the game! I had decided not to hinge the seat and I already have the blocks in place under the seat bottom and they mesh very well with the riser!

I'm so proud of myself, I'm going for a little turn in the parking lot after work. Just to make sure things are okay.;) heheh Amazing how EVERYTHING I do now, requires a test drive. Imagine that.

Ya always gotta make sure things are right so a test ride is MANDATORY on all modifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick said:
Ya always gotta make sure things are right so a test ride is MANDATORY on all modifications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:Well, I tested the seat after work. of course this required a few runs at hard acceleration.;) Everything seems fine. REALLY fine. I romped on her good and heavy before calling it a day. The seat seems fine. hehehe

Well, today I padded the seat bottom and back. Then, I covered them with, foam, a sheet of thin plastic (water proofing), and finally vinyl material I scored at Walmart (perfect color and pattern)!

Have a look.

hotrodseatred002.jpg

hotrodseatred001.jpg

The back is held in place with Indusrial Velcro. I left a bare spot on the back of the 1/8" board that the foam is attached to. Then, I placed the velcro on. Since the body had a smooth, glass covered wooden piece in the back, it was the perfect place for velcro. It fits and sticks VERY good. It will be easy to remove, if I ever decide to spend the bucks later for a professional interior. But for now, it suits me fine.

Thats a good idea with the velcro. Where would you get some industral velcro.

Geo27T said:
Thats a good idea with the velcro. Where would you get some industral velcro.

Loews Hardware had it. What makes it so strong is the way the two sides are attached to the pieces to be joined. The adhesive is VERY strong and has a 24 hr setup time. I got a 4' strip for $9 and it was just enough to do the job. Trust me, the seat back isn't moving. I took her for a test run and even sliding around, the seat back stayed firm.

Nice job Fred, looking good. :clap:

Nice job Fred! I worked on my riser etc. this weekend. When I bought my T, it already had a drop in seat which took up soooo much room. I took it apart and have been able to recycle many parts to make my new seat. So far it is going pretty good. Biggest problem I am running into is finding vinyl to match the current color I have. Anyway, thanks again for the help and I will try to post some pics soon.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back