Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

AFB Carb Question

Swampdog

It seems there are some real old time carb experts on the site. Here is my question: I have 62 Dodge with a 383 with inline dual 4's. Carter # 3258S and 3259S. I 'm having heat soak issues. after the sits for a while it won't start unless you pour a shot of gas in the carb. or crank long enough for the fuel pump to fill the carbs up.
I want to put a Heat Isolator Spacer under them. Trouble is what size? My studs are 4.25". I see some that have 2 sets of holes and they say for Holly 4150 and AFB's. Is this what I am looking for. I can afford about .5" thickness. Any know if there will fit my AFB's?
Jomar 5040
Phenolic Carburetor Spacer Open Plenum

Last edited:
Some of the spacers come with longer studs, check and see if you can find those spacers (if that is the only problem).

I have a 460 in a Ford dually with a carter or eddlebrock afb on it that done the same thing. Electric pumps (dual tanks) and recycling the fuel cured it. By recycling I mean a fuel return line so the fuel is moving and not allowed to overheat, expand, vapor lock, etc... there are various fittings and even in line fuel filters available that provide a return spout to allow this. I've heard of guys doing all kinds of things to combat this from installing rubber fuel lines that expand to wooden clothes pins on the line to dissipate the heat. Lol... 383 with dual afb's....nice!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back