Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

An alternative to paint

Ted B

First, allow me to express my opinion. Paint is king! I’m 67 and as a teenagers in the 60’s and quickly becoming a car guy, I was amazed at what you could do with enamel then later with lacquer. My eyes popped out when I first saw flakes, candies and pearls. As vans and motorcycles hit the color scene from the mundane, I witnessed some outrageous airbrushing that spilled over to cars and that was just the start. Obviously, since then there have been many major advancements in medium and all fantastic! That brings me to this post. Last year I fulfilled by 50 year dream of purchasing a bucket. I had a pretty tight budget and knew I would need to invest some substantial money to bring the car up to an excellent working condition. I would have loved to have the car painted but my vision would have cost many thousands of dollars. And, lacking experience (it’s been 45 years since I sprayed a car), equipment and a suitable enclosure, I decided to jump on the latest trend of having the car wrapped in film. I have enclosed a before and after picture of the car. The wrap cost $1,500 and I am VERY pleased with the result. So, for those looking to refresh your car you might want to consider film if on a tight budget. Here's before and after pics:

upload_2018-5-6_7-21-5.png upload_2018-5-6_7-21-45.png upload_2018-5-6_7-22-33.png upload_2018-5-6_7-23-7.png

Ted, how hard is it to get the results you have achieved in applying the film? I can see myself winding up with something that resembles wrinkle-finish paint!:rolleyes::laugh:

Ted, how hard is it to get the results you have achieved in applying the film? I can see myself winding up with something that resembles wrinkle-finish paint!:rolleyes::laugh:
Hi Spanky, I didn't apply the film myself. I selected a company that had proven results with a local new car dealer (applying graphics and such) as well commercial vehicles. After receiving the quote I worked with their designer. I did an internet search and found a pattern that I really liked. I gave that information to the designer and she provided about a half dozen variations of that exact pattern. From there her and I tweaked one of the illustrations until I was satisfied. Even the name on the back was MY font that was duplicated exactly. The company I went with was Image 360. I believe they may be a franchise but anyone can Google search their area for a company that applies hi-grade film like 3M. I felt the $1,500 was a great price for all the back and forth work design work and then having them apply the film.

Hi Everyone, I want to make sure I didn't confuse anyone. When I decided to wrap my car I did an internet search using Google image and found MANY examples of how a film applicator can apply an image to the film and fit it on the car. Here are a few images I found:

Attachments

• design 14.jpg
    design 14.jpg
    545.1 KB · Views: 89
  • design 16.jpg
    design 16.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 89
  • design 15.jpg
    design 15.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 89
  • design 17.jpg
    design 17.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 90
  • design 18.jpg
    design 18.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 89
  • design 19.jpg
    design 19.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 89
  • design 20.jpg
    design 20.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 89
  • design 21.jpg
    design 21.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 89
  • design 22.jpg
    design 22.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 89
I've seen a few cars that were wrapped and it does look great. In a lot of cases, if the owner hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known. A lot of race cars are wrapped. They change sponsors so much, that having to do repaints wouldn't be cost effective. Think NASCAR.

Good for you. Never shy away from technology that can help you achieve what you want.

1500 bucks these days would even get you a good base coat to put the color on and then there is the airbrush work.

Any way if you change your mind next year the company you had did this already have a pattern for your car to work off, The possibilities are endless.
G

The only problem that I have noticed with wrapped cars is that the film pulls away from interior corners (Center section of the Tailgate inside corners), when the car is left in the sun.

The only problem that I have noticed with wrapped cars is that the film pulls away from interior corners (Center section of the Tailgate inside corners), when the car is left in the sun.
Hi Mark, You're right. This is a risk that the shop mentioned to me up front. They even gave me a tool just in case that happened. However, it's been a year and so far the film hasn't pulled away from any corners. Fingers crossed :)

Ted B - Super!! I hope your luck holds out!!!

Very nice. I tried to get my sedan wrapped, talked with several local companies but couldn't find one that wanted to
take on the challenge, all were apparently as busy as they wanted to be. Ended up painting, wasn't fun, but it came out well.

I love the idea of wrapping a T, I've thought about this on my 27 but lately I've been thinking of just doing it with kbs coatings which I can just brush on. Has anyone done this before? Pros or cons?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back