Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

An older article I just discovered

Then for those who don't do Facebook.

Jungle%20Pam_zpspgpmbhxf.jpg
Jungle%20Pam%202_zpsyx6wgywr.jpg

Yeah I love those old pictures of Jungle Pam! and love the old (70's-80's) Pro/Stock cars. Reading between the lines in Grumpy Jenkins "how to build a small block Chev" book, the 351 Clevelands were unbeatable when it came to making outright horsepower. The way Grumpy beat them was by building a smaller motor (331") and putting it in a lighter car, which leveled the playing field a bit. Plus his driving. I met "the Grump" at Indy one year and had my picture taken with him.
We have 302" Clevelands down here , made in Aussie, and NO they are not a Boss motor. They are physically the same as a 351, but only a 3" stroke.

Mike...You have overloaded my mental processes. You brought back names and cars I have not thought of or remembered in years. Then you really rang the bell upstairs with the history of Brian and the bell housing company. I knew his name sound very familiar but I could not place it as to why. I bought my last clutch can from him and immediately made it illegal for use in Rod Coleman's last car. I built him a real '63 split window Corvette to run as a Super Stock/ Modified. This allowed him to run a fabricated 9" housing, R&P steering 5 speed Jericho transmission and a P/S Truck engine. Had to modify the can and talked to him about it as it would destroy the SFI sticker. We came up with a workable deal but Rod died in that car at his first race at Houston. Had a massive stroke sitting in the staging lane as he was about to fire it up. Dead when he hit the steering wheel. I'm thinking that 5 speed came from Iisenhood but not positive. Anyway, I always likes comp racing over all the other sportsman classes. It was like being at the circus...All types of cars, dragsters and alters and all different colors. And all very different kinds of people with their own special personalities. Greatest show on earth and it was grand. Thanks for the memories!

George

The bellhousing deal is kind of a funny story. I left K-Motion for a few months, and worked for Murf McKinney. At that time, Murf owned the bellhousing deal. Sadly, things didn't work out with Murf, so I ended up going back to work at K-Motion. About 7 or 8 years later, Brian bought the bellhousing division from Murf. And he has really done well with it. Murf didn't really get after the bellhousing program, he just had them available, if you wanted to order one. Brian got serious with it, and really built the company into something. The addition of the aluminum cans really brought in the Pro Stock racers. It's a long story, but I've not seen, nor talked to Brian in a couple of years (although his shop is located just a 11 or 12 blocks from here), however my son works there at the shop.

The bellhousing deal is kind of a funny story. I left K-Motion for a few months, and worked for Murf McKinney. At that time, Murf owned the bellhousing deal. Sadly, things didn't work out with Murf, so I ended up going back to work at K-Motion. About 7 or 8 years later, Brian bought the bellhousing division from Murf. And he has really done well with it. Murf didn't really get after the bellhousing program, he just had them available, if you wanted to order one. Brian got serious with it, and really built the company into something. The addition of the aluminum cans really brought in the Pro Stock racers. It's a long story, but I've not seen, nor talked to Brian in a couple of years (although his shop is located just a 11 or 12 blocks from here), however my son works there at the shop.

That can was the old Donovan can that was sold to Glen Sanders, Sanders Engineering. I think he sold it to Murf then your friend Brian ended up with it. It was and still is the best one around. Th Lakewoods were always out of concentric with the crank and had to be reworked. Pure crap for sure. Looks like it now has a good home.

George

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back