Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Another Nubie from the Great Northwest

Oldnrusty

First, i'm new to hobby, not a nudie...
I’m in the process of building a bucket ride. Hope it doesn’t HAVE to be a T to hang out here.
I’ve been working on this thing for more than a year, but recently was able to do the first mockup.

I’m building this thing to gain skills. Always wanted one, but ... I was building a 34 chev, learned some about mechanics, bodywork, wood work.. you know the drill... I got it to a point where I could sit in it and close the door... I don’t fit. Will never be comfortable driving that thing. After some time, months, I like it, want to finish it but, now I’ve got to stretch the cab. Yeah, that is artwork, as well as requiring much better welding and body working skills than I possess. Which explains why I’m working on this project. I already had the big pieces laying around so use this to learn more.

In the shop, I’ve been working on the frame, adding Zing front and rear, cleaning, building cross members, boxing, etc.
I moved the frame out of the shop, and moved in an engine that has been looking for a home. It took 3 pressure washing treatments to get it clean. Looking much better now. I’ve had it running and no smoke, so good enough.

Then the bucket. How hard can that be? I had the back half of a 22 Overland, 4 door, that I liked the lines. It was bigger than a T, so that was a start. I have a T cowl, 26-27 I think. But it’s body lines don’t match those of the Overland and didn’t provide space for 3 peddles and trans hump. Had an extra 34 chev cowl. Its body lines didn’t match either but was wider so I narrowed it it, shortened it, changed the taper at the bottom to kinda look right to those of the Overland. After all, I was doing this to learn body working skills. Then I connected the front and back, with a 6” insert to make the bucket a little longer. Another 2” would have been nice but that’s hindsight.

So, recently I was able to do the first mockup. First time to see the big 3 pices together. Not too far off from my mental image, but still, dragged back into the shop, pulled apart and shortened the frame 9”. It has a 99” wheelbase now, with much less sticking out behind the back of the bucket. Could have added some kind of a PU Box, but wasn't the look I am going for.

So, the frame was from an early T truck, engine is Packard in-line 8, w OD trans, rad cowl is ‘27 Whippet. Front and rear axle n suspension is 37 ford, w wide 5 wheels. I did change front suspension to ‘spring over’ rather than having the spring in front of the axle.

This is probably too much information for my introduction, but...

Welcome...……..From New Mexico......

Welcome to the forum from Oklahoma. Your build sounds interesting. When you make your 10 posts you should be able to get some photos up here.

Thanks. I'm trying to get my 10 in. Though its not complete, I can see it cooking down the road!

I'd like to think late summer, but sure is a long list....

Welcome from Houston. I’m looking forward to some pics too. One thing people do to get up to the ten post is let us no some of the other details. What Engine, Trans, Rear, anything else about it.

Good point. Mine has a Packard Inline 8, 288 engine with the original OD trans. The rear is a stock '37 Ford. Shooting for a cool rod rather than Hot Rod.
Seems when you go to a show, you can't have the best paint, loudest pipes, most horse power. Gotta have something different. This is pretty different. Also, its gonna be mine, doesn't have to meet what others expect, as long as it gets me home.
Once I can post pictures, I'll try to post something in the Projects forum.

In that video, did you notice the front motor mount? Sure doesn't look up to the job for such a heavy engine. As soon as that first video finishes it shows one of Brian Thomas and his blown Packard. Found it after I dreamed up mine, but sure gets me drooling....

Also, its gonna be mine, doesn't have to meet what others expect, as long as it gets me home.

I like it! Can't wait to see photos.

Hey, Old 'nRusty . . . check this one out. (It's a Buick, not a Packard, but still cool!)

8 in a row.jpg

He’s put a lot of thought n work into that ride. I agree, very nice. I’m way short of that but... hey, just noticed I have a pic icon. Maybe I can post a pic of my project... I’ll try that right here.
Nope... apparently, I need to do more research as see what I’m doing wrong...

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back