Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anybody building metal body?

Sumfuncomet

I have a 31 closed car cowl and am going to fab the rest of the body similar to a RPU. Was planning on modifying some Tudor front doors and buying the roadster rear panel from Brookville Roadster. Just do not want a fiberglass body...I feel unless I buy a Zippers body or old dog street rod body...both over 3,000.00 I won't get the solidity I want. The other part is I want to be able to weld where I want to add features, I do not have a lot of experience with fiberglass work. Any body have ideas? Thanks

I too am looking for some ideas for building my own body. Built a flathead T bucket (fiberglass) and next project is a Model T speedster. Probaly a boat tail. I thought someone with some CAD capabilities could make some patterns for me but haven't talk to anybody yet. I want to build the skeleton frame and wrap it with 20ga. steel or possibly aluminum. Any thoughts are apreciated.

There is an interesting couple part article in Street Rodder the last few months by Ron Covell about building a '27 roadster body out of metal. He does awesome work, but probably out of my league for a project. The first installment is a great tutorial on making a wooden skeleton--he also sells a video of it as well on his web site. Might be a place to start. there was a great thread on a home-built steel C-Cab by No-Limits, but the photos apparently didn't make the site conversion. I think he has posted the pics on other hot rod sites, but I'm not a member of any other ones not T related.

tenbears: Youngster on this board is the guy you want to hook up with . I think he's building a speedster or two.

Did some one say "Speedster"? I did put one together using the left overs from a '29 tudor several years ago. At the present time I'm building a '21 roadster "Gow job" with a steel body. By the time I finished patching the body I could have damn near built it from scratch. Fun project though. This is how it sets at the present;

022.jpg

In a couple weeks I'll be starting a speedster body for a customer. It will be mounted on a '31 Model A frame that he is basicly restoring. The body will be made completely by hand from 18ga. CRS. It'll consist of the cowl, a twin seat, and a deck on the back with an oval fuel tank, toolbox and spare tire mount. Future plans might call for a boat tail. Any questions:D?

Ron

Hey Ron, got a shopping list for the body in the photo? Am going nuts down here in Az, missing my garage. Bought a golf cart to mess with.How's your warm winter?

Hey Mike!!!! What's with the "tenbears" handle?

For what its worth, my current T project is a scratch job what I did was found a site that had the measurements that I wanted (which turns out to be a stretched and longer body ) from another body manufactuer. Layed out the dimentions on the floor of my shop and started bending tubing till I had a skeleton then from there just start adding sheet metal till you get it skined like you want. so far I have the cowl and firewall done am working on the doors now and working my way back. I think the rear is going to be the hardest part as it has several compound curves but I dont forsee a problem. Be forwarned though if you add to much the body becomes long and you run out of room on the frame. I know this because thats what happed to me, at first it was going to be just a longer cowl but I also streched the body and it became a whole new animal sorta like a tudor but looks more like a T hard to explain. I should be able to get some pictures out in a week or two working on the front end now and once I finish that then back to the body.

Waiting to see those pics.

Ron

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back