Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Anyone having problems uploading an avatar

Mike

I've noticed in the past couple of days that I am seeing some errors cropping up in the error logs. I hates me some errors, so I am trying to get the problem sorted.

I've seen a couple of members who are triggering the errors, and I'm trying to learn from them what they are experiencing on their end, but seeing where the problem kicks in, I think they are simply loading images that are two large for the image processor I run on the server. My guess is they try to upload an image and it just never happens.

I am loathe to mention this at all, but it is a possibility they might be trying to upload animated images for their avatars. The reason I don't even like to touch this topic is that our old forum platforms would allow me to outright block anyone using a .gif avatar. The reason I block them is because they are actually a string of images, rather than a single image, which means they occupy more space on the server. I can edit one of the XenForo core files to block .gif images, but then I have to remember to edit that file after every upgrade. That gets to be a PITA, so I try not to tamper with core code any more than absolutely necessary.

Where I am seeing the errors are all in avatar image processing. The process is set up for a maximum execution time of 30 seconds, and a really large and intricate .gif image might try to exceed that time restriction. Unfortunately, that triggers an error on the server and dumps a report into my lap, and as I said earlier, I hates me some errors. I take a lot of pride in not having any errors, so when they do crop up, that is like a slap in the face to me.

I really recommend (and quite honestly, I prefer) you use a .jpg or a .png file for your avatars. Short, sweet, small and easy to handle. And if you resize avatar images to 200 pixels X 200 pixels, prior to the upload, life will get even easier for everyone.

If you do not have the means to resize images, allow me to suggest a couple of programs that will make resizing a snap. And the programs are all available at no cost, so there is no out-of-pocket expense for anyone. A really powerful, cross-platform image editor is The GIMP. You can install it on Windows and most Linux distros and it will do virtually anything you can imagine to do with images. Windows users can also use IrfanView, which is another powerful piece of software. If you are running a Linux machine, I find Mirage is available for just about everything, is light-weight, runs fast and works a treat. Use whatever flavor of software manager you are running to download/install it for you, or you can always install it via CLI.

As mentioned, I do have an image processor on the server, and it will do its best to resize mountainous images, but it is running within a PHP time restraint, so it might not be able to tackle everything you are trying to throw at it.

A technique I have developed over the last 30 years of online discussion boards is to keep my eye open for images that I might fancy using for an avatar. If I see something I like, I download it to my system, then immediately resize it for forum use. I then save it to an avatar sub-directory of my Pictures directory, so I have it if and when I decide to use it. I just looked and I have 63 avatar-size images in that directory, all ready to go. It makes life easy for me and might be a trick you can use on your end, as well.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back