Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Asphalt" black powder coat on frame?

Bowtie T

Anyone familiar with this? It is a flat black with a slight texture to it sort of like crinkle paint but
maybe not so raised. Was thinking of powder coating my frame and suspension parts with this.
I plan on painting the body satin black. Any pros or cons or opinions are appreciated. Any pictures
are also appreciated.In my thinking, if I decide to change the body color one day, the frame would
still match. I will try to post a picture of sample.

I am planning on using a paint called POR for the frame, maybe even the engine and headers.
Its short for Paint Over Rust but its really a rust preventive.
This stuff dries hard as a rock and prevents rock/stone chips as well or better than powder coat.
My uncle used it on a trailer he welded up.. looks great and works well, he even did his 35 Chevy frame with it.

POR-15 Stop Rust Permanently

This may defeat the purpose but, multiple coats of clear over the textured black may give it a good look. Kind of like a chrome engine that has been dropped into a rusty rat rod. Glossy frame and flat black body........

I used a textured p/c on my frame, then had the put a clear p/c over it. it is as smooth as glass, and held up very well for 4 years now.

Hmmmm...I've been planning on coating my frame with roll/brush on bed liner, but I'd not thought of the problem with dirt accumulating in the texture.

POR also makes a product called BlackCote which is an extremely durable black paint. It can be brushed, sprayed, etc. They claim that once dry it can't be removed with any type of chemical process, I used it on my carbs and I know that gasoline won't take it off.

I used POR 15 on a frame. We acid washed the frame and cleaned it with soap and water. Applied POR 15 with a brush. It looked good But started peeling off soon after.

I used POR 15 on a frame. We acid washed the frame and cleaned it with soap and water. Applied POR 15 with a brush. It looked good But started peeling off soon after.
Did you neutralize the acid with baking soda before washing it? I've had similar problems with other top coats on acid treated parts. I tried the baking soda on the most recent part(dump bed hinge) and so far, so good.

Hmmmm...I've been planning on coating my frame with roll/brush on bed liner, but I'd not thought of the problem with dirt accumulating in the texture.
Bill, I painted the tube bumpers on my Fiat with truck bed coating after being thouroly disenchanted with the local chromers, and it looks good, remains clean, and cleans easy. It has a ruff texture, but is glossy and chemically smooth, slick, so it doesn't seem to attract any more dirt than anything else, imho.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back