Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Auto trans lockout switch.

ChrisK

I got a Th350 trans and the state wants me to have an automatic transmission lockout switch so the car can only be started in neutral and in park. Chevy or gm ever make such an animal? I got a column shift without ignition. The key switch is on the dash. Any ideas?

The aftermarket floor shifts usually have one built in. On a column shift I would assume it is GM so you should be able to maybe find one that would work with the column shift.

How about this? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-80175/overview/

Neutral Safety Function:
If you are using the switc
h for neutral safety you
will install the double trigger as shown. The
trigger needs to be installed so that it
depresses in the switch ball when the transm
ission is in park or neutral only.
Take the wire that comes from the ignition
switch start terminal, route it and install
on either terminal of the neutral safety switc
h. Install the wire to starter solenoid “s”
terminal on the remaining terminal.

You could use a momentary switch (normally open) and make a bracket to mount it either on the column or the transmission, wherever is more convenient, so that it is activated (closed) by the linkage only when in neutral or park and wire it in line with your starter solenoid wire. If you use a micro style switch, be aware of the amperage rating so your starter solenoid activation won't overpower it. What transmission do you have? Many have them built in.

Thanks for the responses guys. I searched for 35 minutes for something like that summit part. I guess I had the terminology all wrong. My column doesn't have that feature. I could install it but it would require tearing that whole thing apart and putting it back together so the signals cancel etc. something I don't really want to do. I'm instead going to get that part.

I could very well do that. I got a relay for the brake light already.

Chris, I'm curious. How did the state find out you don't have a lockout switch? Do they inspect buckets in Illinois?

Please never have a car that can start in gear, You should always have a Neutral Safety Start switch in any car just so you don't run over someone or something............Never drive or get in a car without one......JMHO.....Just last week I saw a car start in Drive and run into a building, Not a pretty sight.........

Any older stick shift car could easily have a problem. I've driven stick shift cars all my life. You learn to step on the clutch while starting them. It becomes a force of habit.
Just last week we were parking in an enclosed multi level garage. An older lady pulled into a spot a few spaces down from us. A few seconds later we hear a big crash noise and an engine racing at high RPM. She stepped on the gas instead of the brake and slammed into the concrete wall. No one was hurt but there was a lot of damage to her car. I guess she just had a brain fart . Like they say" things happen".

Any older stick shift car could easily have a problem. I've driven stick shift cars all my life. You learn to step on the clutch while starting them. It becomes a force of habit.
Just last week we were parking in an enclosed multi level garage. An older lady pulled into a spot a few spaces down from us. A few seconds later we hear a big crash noise and an engine racing at high RPM. She stepped on the gas instead of the brake and slammed into the concrete wall. No one was hurt but there was a lot of damage to her car. I guess she just had a brain fart . Like they say" things happen".
You see a lot of that down here in Florida with all the elderly drivers here. They don't call Florida "God's waiting room" for nothing, you know.

Jim

You could use 2 micro switches, one for park and one for neutral. I would just wire up one for park and be done. You should be able to find a place to bolt a bracket on the linkage side of the trans.

That's what I did. The car will only start in Park. Cant see a need to start it in N.

I would go with neutral over park. If it stalls on the road while moving you halve to come to a compete stop and put it in park to restart. when you start while stopped just put in neutral and hold brake .
My car has switch on shifter for park and neutral built in , but if I had to make a choice -neutral.

Water in fuel, coil wire or the like coming unhooked, allthough in any such event stopping is likely mandatory. If I were to go to the trouble of installing one, I would do the work to make it do it's intended purpose, n and p, but that's just my opinion. The brake switch option is the simplist overall solution if it will suffice for inspection, it works on manual shift cars only on the other pedal.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back