Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Axle/Spindle Question

converted

So I'm in the process of starting my T bucket build. Speedway body and frame. The front axle I am using though, is an original Ford 37-41 front axle. My question is in regards to spindles. I'm looking at spindles on Speedway and other sites and I'm not sure what will fit. I'd like to use a spindle that allows me to run Mustang II brakes, as I have a spare kit already from a previous build. I've been told I can run 49-54 Chevy Spindles by Speedway's sales rep but I want to confirm. Anyone have any input or suggestions?

Welcome! I am using the Speedway Chevy spindles with GM metric brakes with good success. Don't know about the Mustangs, but if Speedway says they'll work, I'd believe them.

Front view2.jpg

Chevy spindles won’t work on stock spindles. Speedway has Ford spindles and if you have the Ford kit it will work. I used their GM kit on my ‘32ford.

You need to talk to a new sales rep. Chevy spindles won't fit a Ford beam axle.

My belief is you are putting the cart before the horse.

Instead of trying to find new oddball spindles that will allow you to use an unspecified aftermarket brake kit you already have...just sell that spare stuff to someone who actually needs it and order the proper kit that fits the spindles you already have.

You are heading down a rocky road hoping to get by and potentially save a buck...because most times in a case like this you just end up just wasting more money in addition to the wasted time.

Get the right stuff you need and move on to the next step.

You need to talk to a new sales rep. Chevy spindles won't fit a Ford beam axle.

My belief is you are putting the cart before the horse.

Instead of trying to find new oddball spindles that will allow you to use an unspecified aftermarket brake kit you already have...just sell that spare stuff to someone who actually needs it and order the proper kit that fits the spindles you already have.

You are heading down a rocky road hoping to get by and potentially save a buck...because most times in a case like this you just end up just wasting more money in addition to the wasted time.

Get the right stuff you need and move on to the next step.

thanks, goal wasn’t to save a buck so much as it was to simply use what I already have and get it off the shelf. That’s mostly what this build is more, use some of my spare engines, transmissions, axles etc that I just have taking up space.

that said, I think you’re right about just buying a specific kit for this thing. this gonna be one of the few things I’m gonna have to buy to finish the build anyway so not a big deal. Thanks

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back