Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Battery Cut-off Switch

rbsWELDER

For some time, I have had a 10 milli-amp draw on the battery when my T is shut off. Not a big loss, but if I do not drive the T for a week or so, the battery will not start the engine. I pulled out all the fuses, one by one, and the draw did not go away, so it must be in an unfused circuit. I have decided that if I cannot find the draw down today, I am going to install a battery cut-off switch.

A few years ago, I bought a battery cut-off switch at Harbor Freight. I am nervous about their quality, so I checked the customer feedback, today, and it validated my suspicions. I will probably purchase another one. Any recommendations?

You know what... these days I have no idea where to get quality goods. Even the so called 'prestige' suppliers are using the cheapest source. Best thing to do is use Efray and return everything that doesn't meet your standard. Been doing this for the last 12 to 18 months without a problem and always use the return as either bad and poor quality or not as described.

We are at the mercy of 'don't care multinationals' so kick back everything is sub standard. Maybe they will learn.... who knows

I have this Blue Sea battery cutoff switch that I have never opened. Sells for about $32, I would
take $16. I will be at the President's Fun Run in Texas. It's going to be bigger than most and take
up some room you may not have. The key comes out to reduce the height by about 1 inch.

m-Series Mini On-Off Battery Switch with Key - Red - Blue Sea Systems

upload_2020-6-24_10-44-1.png

upload_2020-6-24_10-35-34.png

upload_2020-6-24_10-43-8.png

May check speedway. A little of racing rules require one and seems I heard of one with a very small circuit for clocks and radio stations.

I did disconnect the alternator already. Still leaked!

G'Day RB, try pulling the various fuses one at a time til the leak goes away that will tell you which circuit is at fault. Known draws these days are, Radio station memory, Immobiliser, ECU memory, etc.
Regards,

10ma for a week shouldn't drain the battery such that it can't start. How old is the battery? And what circuits are not fused?
I keep a charger on my battery while the car sits so it will always be ready.

G'Day RB, try pulling the various fuses one at a time til the leak goes away that will tell you which circuit is at fault. Known draws these days are, Radio station memory, Immobiliser, ECU memory, etc.
Regards,

I mentioned earlier that I have already done this. No fused circuit showed the leak!

10ma for a week shouldn't drain the battery such that it can't start. How old is the battery? And what circuits are not fused?
I keep a charger on my battery while the car sits so it will always be ready.

What I have not told you is my battery is out of a Harley Davidson motorcycle. I believe that may be why a 10ma draw does not allow the engine (350 Chevy) to start after a week without driving. I am looking at replacing the battery with a bigger one, but this will require a bigger hole in the floor.

350 cranking....
Anti grav.JPG

Apologies Mark, obviously didn't read your first post properly. I reckon you're on the money with the battery. Have a look at the Full River AGM, just as good as the Oddessy and way cheaper.

AusBucket - No problem!

I have not been able to find a cross reference to a Full River AGM.

Spanky - Thanks! I went to that website when AusBucket mentioned Full River. Unfortunately, they do not have a cross reference for an ETX-18L!

Guess I may as well just not bother to post anymore.

Sorry Gerry - antigravitybatteries.com does not have a cross-reference for an ETX-18L!

G'Day RB,
Been having another look, the EXT-18L is rated at a 340CCA, (surprised me as the HC20 is only 310) if you have a look at the EXT30L it is rated at 410CCA. The Full River HC28 (PC925) is rated at 410CCA as well, but is a completely different shape. I've used the Oddessy equivalent to the HC28 with excellent results on a high compression 4 cyl. Hope this is helpful.
Regards,

Thanks AusBucket! Local battery guy has recommended the Odessey PC950 at 400 CCA. I can probably enlarge the hole in the floor for this bigger battery.

Alas, I am still trying to find the leak!

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back