Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Be VERY careful out there.

tfeverfred

This video was emailed to me from a relative who knows I'm into T Buckets. The title of this thread is also the only text he wrote in his email. I don't have a message to go along with this video. It speaks for itself.

This video was emailed to me from a relative who knows I'm into T Buckets. The title of this thread is also the only text he wrote in his email. I don't have a message to go along with this video. It speaks for itself.

Kind of shows why you should install and use seat belts. IMHO

Jim

Looks like a prime example of " You can't fix stupid ".....Some people have no business behind the wheel , especially of a high performance vehicle....

Seat belts are REALLY necessary where the driver and passenger sit "on" the car as opposed to sitting down "in" the car. That, to me, is an fatality or very serious injury just waiting to happen.

Jim

Kind of shows why you should install and use seat belts. IMHO

Jim

Jim, I'm fairly sure you remember my stance on seat belts and I'm not going to repeat it and start a drama thread. But I can honestly say... it changed after seeing that video. I don't see the need for a "can't fix stupid" comment because I'm VERY sure each and every one of us has done what that guy did and probably worse. Showing off. If anyone says they haven't, I'll call them a liar. We ALL have had a moment when common sense takes a back seat and our egos take the wheel. Unfortunately, these guys were on the bad side of a crazy situation.

I called my cousin and thanked him for the video. He's not a real car guy. All he knew was, " the car looked like the ones I liked." I owe him for the wake up call.

So, after watching that, my thoughts on seat belts have kinda changed a little. That being the case, should they be mounted to the body alone or through the body and then to the frame?

Looks like a prime example of " You can't fix stupid ".....Some people have no business behind the wheel , especially of a high performance vehicle....
When you have the kind of power to weight ratio we have with these cars you really have to be careful and have plenty for of room when you show off the acceleration capability of your toy!

How would you describe someone "romping" on thier ride w/ people on foot & other vehicles parked close by w/ [obviously] no idea of what COULD happen other than STUPID [ maybe dumb , thoughtless , careless makes you feel better]

So, after watching that, my thoughts on seat belts have kinda changed a little. That being the case, should they be mounted to the body alone or through the body and then to the frame?
I feel they should be mounted to the body alone. Generally the body is held to the frame by six or so bolts through the floor, that is a good thing, but the floor of the body is usually fiberglass or plywood, which can easily pull off of the bolts, leaving them still threaded into the frame. If the body comes free and tries to go down the street, I would rather be in it along for the ride than have it trying to pull me along while the seat belts which are attached to the frame are holding me in place. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure there are plenty of other opinions.

How would you describe someone "romping" on thier ride w/ people on foot & other vehicles parked close by w/ [obviously] no idea of what COULD happen other than STUPID [ maybe dumb , thoughtless , careless makes you feel better]

They were careless. Careless is an action done without concern for harm to self, others or property. Have you ever done anything careless with your T Bucket? Ever sat within a group of people revving your engine? Or done a burnout leaving a stop light? Probably one or more, I'd bet. So were you being stupid or careless?

Last edited:
I have a 6 point roll cage and 4 point seat belts attached to frame. Just makes me feel better for my passenger and me. These cars have a lot of horsepower to weight ratio. Everyone have a safe ride.

How many mounting points for the body to frame assembly ? I seem to remember a picture in The H.A.M.B. that showed a big block T (blue and white) that had been in an accident and apparently the rear body bolts gave way and literally flung the driver forward like a catapult. The steering column
was intact. Upright.

I have 8 mounting points on my '27. All fasteners have large washers on the floor side and bolts go through gusseted frame mounts welded to the frame. I would never trust riv-nuts into the frame or any of the "expandable" fasteners that are sold by some of the hot rod suppliers.

I have ten bolts, five down each side, that go through ten gauge steel plates that are on my construction type fiberglass floor. Two of those steel plates extend over to the sides of the body and have 3/4" square tubing going up the sides and attaching to another piece of 3/4" square tubing that is glassed into the bottom of the dash and acts as a steering column mount. The seat belts are mounted through the body and bolted to a ten gauge plate that spans the rear of the body that is nearly 1/4" thick. When we built the body we made it thicker than most and used absolutely no wood in its construction. When we were building the body we covered inside of the sides with an expanding type foam. When the foam had set we then sanded it down to the desired shape and laid several layers of glass on top of it. This made for a very strong body that hopefully will withstand an accident. Yes, my body is heavier than most but I feel very secure while driving.

Jim

Anyone know if the people involved are OK now?

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back