Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Best Forum

guilld

My son has a 50 Stude & a 32 3 window that I get to drive whenever I want. I have a 58 chevy Apache I drive every day and am working on a 29A truck that will replace the 58 as a daily driver.

That being said I like T buckets of a certain style and this is my favorite site on the web. I think part of it is the engineering ingenuity I see in the builds. Love the build threads. Keep up the good work.

I have this T in my head and someday I hope to actually build it.

Reactions: RPM
I wish there was a site for all cars like this beside the hamb board that covered Model A, '32, 34 and up. I know Mike started one but never took off. Maybe we need to start one up so we can have sections for Model A, Model B and etc.

All it takes for a site to take off is participation. The HAMB is popular, not only for covering a lot of different cars, but member participation. For instance, if you post a question on the HAMB, someone will post a response in a matter of a few minutes, sometimes seconds. True, they have a huge member base, but it's their participation that drives it.

The cut off year for cars there is 1964 and the preference is towards "traditional" Hot Rods, so while T Buckets get a pass, I don't post many build pics, unless it's in a thread on T Buckets and right there's only one I post in. My car technically doesn't fit the criteria due to my preference for disc brakes and a few other parts. So, I put my old build here and my new one as well. I like the fact that this site is T Bucket only, it just needs better participation. I'd post more, if it looked like I wouldn't be the only one doing it.

Take a look at some of the threads here and notice who posts in them. It's only a handful of members. Yet, there are more that 1,800 members. So, what's wrong? I don't know, but I wish participation was better. If it was, I'd spend more time here. As it is, I go to the HAMB and check Tbuckteers to see if anything new has been posted in ANY thread. Sadly, HOURS can sometimes go by before anything new is opened for discussion. Look at the date of the last post in some of the threads. It's days or even weeks. Why?

This is the best site for T-buckets on the web hands down. I would love to see other builds of cars besides the T here. A different section for that would be cool. It would definitely inspire some members to change there builds from a traditional T to incorporate a few things from the A and other models. I say go for it. I mean look at choppinczechs bucket, that thing really is no longer a T, it started as one, but has been morphed into something entirely different with a blend of old and new design. I love the car he's building. I think that by starting to offer more sections and entice other builders here may even make them want a bucket.

I vote yes open it up.

I tried my darned best to get that other site that Mike tried to get started but it just did not take off. I had my '37 Chevy and my son's '32 Ford roadster on there but there just was not enough interest to keep the site going. I personally do not care for the HAMB but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, " they're like butt holes, everybody has one and they usually stink".

Jim

I think this site works because it is more focused. If there is any change, I'd like to see a statement of what is welcome here. For example when I had changed directions to more of a track roadster style than a T-Bucket style, I did not know if discussion of track roadster stuff would be welcome. I'm sure there are folks with other T variants who wonder if they are welcome to participate. <shrug>

I tried my darned best to get that other site that Mike tried to get started but it just did not take off. I had my '37 Chevy and my son's '32 Ford roadster on there but there just was not enough interest to keep the site going. I personally do not care for the HAMB but that is just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions, " they're like butt holes, everybody has one and they usually stink".

Jim
I share your opinion of that site, mostly due to smart a** posters I've read, so I just avoid them. There is some good info on there and I'm sure some very talented guys, I just don't have time for the shenanigans. I would like to see a site on hot rods and muscle up through the mid '70's. There are some great ones from that era and it reminds me of home, lol... Just no tuners, or late model stangs, camodes, vettes, etc... Too many of them, imho.

I share your opinion of that site, mostly due to smart a** posters I've read, so I just avoid them. There is some good info on there and I'm sure some very talented guys, I just don't have time for the shenanigans. I would like to see a site on hot rods and muscle up through the mid '70's. There are some great ones from that era and it reminds me of home, lol... Just no tuners, or late model stangs, camodes, vettes, etc... Too many of them, imho.

Well, that's just it, if you don't see or read something you like, then move along. But usually, the smart ass remarks are towards questions or threads on a subject that's either been beaten to death in other threads or is completely off topic. But like I stated, if there's no member participation, it won't matter what cars you cater to. The site will be almost useless or it'll die.

I love this site. I like the fabrication better than the bolt on store bought stuff. The other site I like involves tube frame sporty type cars but I can't get away from the roar of the mighty V-8! I had the most fun with my blown SBC than any other car I owned. I have had on in my brain for years and at 71 I only have one more car in me so it will be as trick as my shakey hands will let me do. I hope to get started in the next few weeks but the heat in Oklahoma has been awful!

LOL

Well, that's just it, if you don't see or read something you like, then move along. But usually, the smart ass remarks are towards questions or threads on a subject that's either been beaten to death in other threads or is completely off topic. But like I stated, if there's no member participation, it won't matter what cars you cater to. The site will be almost useless or it'll die.
I don't know, I've only looked at it on a handful of occasions and it seems to me like the same guys make the same sort of remarks that would merit a knuckle sandwich in the bar or at my shop, lol. I have had my fill of that testosterone enfused high school auto shop garbage. I'm too old for it. This isn't a competition to me. Without that garbage, it seems like it is an ok site. Maybe I just happened to view it at the wrong times, There are definitely some guys on there who know their stuff, from some of the posts I've read, but the banter prevents me from engaging. Again, just my take from limited exposure. As far as participation, you are spot on. I am amazed at how many different sites come up when doing a search and there are only a handful of valid remarks, or no recent ones. It seems like every brand has a specific site, ie, f body, mustang, tractors, bikes, etc.... At least guys are still working on stuff. The thing for me is I am into many different things, so I have varied interests. It's hard to find sites to relate, this one is unique. Imo

I think this site works because it is more focused. If there is any change, I'd like to see a statement of what is welcome here. For example when I had changed directions to more of a track roadster style than a T-Bucket style, I did not know if discussion of track roadster stuff would be welcome. I'm sure there are folks with other T variants who wonder if they are welcome to participate. <shrug>

T-Buckets are derived from the FORD Model Ts built from 1923-- 1927. All variants from those years are included. Buckets-C Cabs- Turtle Decks Depot Hacks- etc.Track Roadsters and chopped Ts are some of the first Hot Rods that were modified for racing on dirt tracks in the 20s-30s-40s. Build what you want and bring it out, opinions only matter to you unless the Powers to Be say otherwise.

I don't know, I've only looked at it on a handful of occasions and it seems to me like the same guys make the same sort of remarks that would merit a knuckle sandwich in the bar or at my shop, lol.

I searched and found this forum after I'd heard enough about "plastic cars". I knew right away this was the place for me.

I guess my main car has no home to speak of. I don't fit in to well on the HAMB, because my ride isn't traditional enough. Don't fit in here because it isn't a bucket. I am an orphan.:( This is my main hangout, because of the people here, and the ideas they/you come up with. I just try to absorb the information and ideas, and add any thoughts that I can, trying to be helpful.
By the way John, you still have the shoe?

When I came here, there were 3 members. Myself, Tom and I think Rick. There may have been one other person, but the name escapes me. But even with just us 3 or 4 there was activity. Whether it was a build update, asking or answering a question or just saying "Hey.". We went through Mike wanting to shut it down to many times to count and considering how slow it would get sometimes, he could have with no regrets. Back then, I needed a place to keep a journal and to keep me motivated. So I stayed. I figured if I put my build in cyber space, giving up would be a little harder.

So, I'd post updates and the other guys would give suggestions and tell what they were doing. I was on the NTBA and mentioned it to Ron and he joined up. Back then, he mostly built gas tanks. So, when I come here now, it's still to post in my build/journal and see what everyone else is up to. They may and probably are doing a totally different style than I am, but I can spot little things that may help me one day. If I see something I have a bit of knowledge in, I'll post my thoughts. Are they always right? Shit, no. But it's something that worked for me and I'm just tossing it into the pot. Folks can do with it what you please.

As for "wise crackin" and giving each other a hard time? My friends do that to each other when ever we get together. Without the bullshit, this hobby would be work and we all have regular jobs. So, if someone walks up and asks what the timing order of a SBC is, yea..... he's gonna get his "punk card" pulled. Then, he'll go look it up and never forget it. If you ask us what color YOU should paint YOUR car, we're gonna tell you "purple". Doesn't matter what make, year or model. If you can't make up your own mind on something personal, you probably shouldn't have left the house that day and you deserve a purple car. If you ask that on a public website, you should probably have a thick skin. Instead of just your buddies, there's a 100,00 folks who don't know you from Adam. So, they're going to say what they please.

I think one of the biggest things to hold this site back is the inability to upload pics directly to the site.
I know I have started to fill out a couple of build threads on various parts I was making, and after fighting with Photobucket on uploads and downloads for a bit I just gave up and erased them.
It was just eating up too much of my time.
To attract people you need to have build threads and other attractive stuff...and to get the threads you need to make it work fast and simple.
Having said that...I also realize it must be a lot more expensive to allow for direct uploads and storage.
A bit of a catch 22...:(

I think one of the biggest things to hold this site back is the inability to upload pics directly to the site.
I know I have started to fill out a couple of build threads on various parts I was making, and after fighting with Photobucket on uploads and downloads for a bit I just gave up and erased them.
It was just eating up too much of my time.
To attract people you need to have build threads and other attractive stuff...and to get the threads you need to make it work fast and simple.
Having said that...I also realize it must be a lot more expensive to allow for direct uploads and storage.
A bit of a catch 22...:(

In the past, I liked using Photo Bucket, but they changed their format and it won't work on my present lap top. So, I store my pics in an album I have on the HAMB and load them from there to transfer here. I suppose it could be a cost thing.

Times 2. Wish I could upload pics, but like you I don't post because of this
problem. I won't use a photo hosting site, I don't on any other forum!

Times 2. Wish I could upload pics, but like you I don't post because of this
problem. I won't use a photo hosting site, I don't on any other forum!

Do those forums provide a link for the pics? You copy it and drop it here. That's all Photobucket does. I cleared my "cookies" or whatever and I can use Photobucket on this lap top, now.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back