Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

bias ply woes lol

Have you thought of dropping some of that air in the tires? It may make it ride even better and it's pain free.

i did experiment with the pressure in them and it seems like it drives the best like it is now if i lower the rear pressure it feels funny when you hit a bump thd the front lower then it is it wanders more so i think im going to leave it like it is and drive it for a bit and see how it goes thank you for the thought:)

so....... time for a update i have driven the car quite a bit over the past couple of weeks and was still having some issues with the handling. it was better but still wasnt right so i went back to the older fellow that helped me and we decided to give it more positive camber. it was at +1/4 degree and we went to +1 1/2 degree which as you know required bending the axle which was not a easy task lol. we also adjusted the steering box as he thought it was a little tight and we reset the toe in to 1/32" and left the caster at 5 degrees . all i can say is wow the car drives so much better i am still thinking about putting a pan hard bar on the rear because it still feels funny when hitting a bump he told me thats the way a buggy spring feels and that a bar may make it feel normal but it was up to me. we drove it 150 miles on saturday and it did great even with the bias ply tires altho i did notice on of the isin't running completly true but it dosen't cause any ill effects other that it just bugs me seeing it. its great learning the old tricks of the trade because the alignment shop i went to said everything was good and all in all it wasent. so whenever younger rodders meet a older one that gives them advice please take it and thank them because its a dieing art.

yea i know its a bunch and it seems to have worked for the best im going to keep a eye for tire wear he also said that the early ford axles were +1/2 to +1.5 degrees so we will see what happens

Old timers posses wisdom that few people value or even understand. Sadly, technology and time is erasing much of what many very smart and talented people spent a lifetime creating. I think one big part of why I seem to be stuck in the past as far as my taste in machines, etc is the memory of the people and experiences that they remind me of...including myself! Lol.

If it works, then go with it. I'm glad you found a solution.

very well said fletcherson i completely agree thanks for the the comment tfeverfred we had it out last night for a bit and all still seems well but im going to have to start on a top really soon cause im tired of getting fried in the sun lol all you fine people have a great day:)

Sun blocker........use it.:)

Baseball cap or a HOOODY:D

I tried radials on mine and it did not drive any different then the bias plys so I switched back for the looks. I only run about 14 psi in the fronts. When I added the front panhard bar it probably made the best improvement.

Every situation is different, but . . . I would think reducing front tire pressure to 14 lbs would cause horrendous understeer. Maybe the sidewalls in a bias ply tire are stiff enough to counteract some of this, but I would be reluctant to go below about 25 lbs in my front radials. I'm just sayin . . .

bias plys work well from what i gather between 14 and 25 we also lowered the front pressure to 15 lbs and the rear to 20 i was told that 15 lbs is good to 80 mph by the guy that helped me out i almost have the rear panhard bar done will be installing it this weekend i dont think i need one on the front since im running 1/4 eliptic on it and the spring is the bottom locator and has no shackel.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back