Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Big or small

rcruse

I am still trying to learn as much as I can about Ts. I wonder if a big block chevy would cause any problem with steering effort. I just love the way a big block looks in any kind of hot rod. I came out of the Doctors office yesterday and saw a model A pickup with a big block that really looked good. It was a pro-street deal but still it was way cool. Had zoomies with baffles, chopped top and painted purple. I tried to hang around to see if the owner returned but the wife grew impatient. How much more does a big block weigh than a small block? Also, why do 99% of guys run the big sprint car type headers outside the car? What is wrong with block hugger headers with a nice exhaust system under the car? Looks like a good way to get unsuspecting people burned. I remember in the boats how many people loved to touch the pretty chrome pipes. Of course they only did it once. Thanks in advance! Back to lurk mode.

truck that had been

The reason myself & I'm sure others run those outside pipes like that is because there really is not much space under the car. I have the battery, steering box, master cylender, trany cooler, drive sfaft loop ect.. It gets pretty crowded. Not saying you cant do run pipes under but the side pipes are alot easier. As far as a BB, I have no experience with that yet.

I had exhaust running under the body on my T. I used two sheets of 1/2" plywood for the floor. Heat was never an issue.

running the exhaust under the car is a matter of how much time you want to invest in it. you'll find it much easier to bolt on a set of outside headers and muffs.

Ron

Big is good!

But to be fair, you can get good performance from a small block and they are lighter.

Personally I would like to build a bucket with a 500 Caddy. They are a torquemonster and would be fun in a bucket

I need to open my eyes. The chart of the size of small blocks includes weights for big and small. Small @ 575#, big 685#. I am leaning toward small block.

rcruse said:
I need to open my eyes. The chart of the size of small blocks includes weights for big and small. Small @ 575#, big 685#. I am leaning toward small block.

OOPs I posted kinda asking the same question BBC vs SBC, I guess I should have looked harder for other post's. 100 pounds is signifcant but IMHO nothing like blown or injected BBC.

It was funny as most everybody thought mine was injected, just had stacks on Webber carbs, looked and sounded GREAT! Love that BB sound, but the biggest draw back to the BBC is the engine vibrations, most will not notice this, but it is very hard on the car, unless you have real good rubber mounts at and on everything that it is connected to.. Try and isolate the engine from the chassis as best you can... :)

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back