Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Big redo of the old bucket

Update on the FAST EZ. Found out that FAST makes 3 color handhelds, and they look exactly the same, but are for different ECUs! I apparently did not have the right one. FAST replaced it and everything is fine now. Note that EZ1.0 has latest version 238, tune 005.

Update on the FAST EZ. Found out that FAST makes 3 color handhelds, and they look exactly the same, but are for different ECUs! I apparently did not have the right one. FAST replaced it and everything is fine now. Note that EZ1.0 has latest version 238, tune 005.
Wow! I don't know if I would be estatic or furious. After all of the head scratching and trouble shooting... glad you figured it out. How exactly did this detail finally come to light?

Two ways: I was watching CPG Nation live on Facebook and they revealed in passing that there were 2 color handhelds for the EZ. Then in a thread I started on the support forum a user told of a 3rd handheld for the XFI ECU. But all 3 are physically identical and have no label.
Since FAST became part of CPG their customer support is nil.

WOW .. just wild how that could not have been handled from support more simply.
I am glad you got it figured, lesson for the rest dealing with the EZ.

Two ways: I was watching CPG Nation live on Facebook and they revealed in passing that there were 2 color handhelds for the EZ. Then in a thread I started on the support forum a user told of a 3rd handheld for the XFI ECU. But all 3 are physically identical and have no label.
Since FAST became part of CPG their customer support is nil.
I'm glad that you figured it out, but that stinks to have to do it that way. I remember you having conversation with their tech support department... So, how does it perform for you? Is it worthy of the hassle? I hope so, for your sake. As a former technician, I can relate to similar type issues with machines not properly communicating, etc. It's very frustrating from a users or service providers perspective when the manufacture drops the ball like that. Have you authored a letter to them outlining your experience and level of dissatisfaction with their product and lack of support? I would think some form of recompense would be in order, but I'm old fashioned. I hope it finally functions properly for you and doesn't have any more suprizes in store for you!

So far I've put several hundred miles on the new setup with no problems. FAST made a big mistake by not labeling the 3 handhelds, and by not making it very public which handheld went with which ECU. And new firmwares and tunes should be available for download.

The consolidation that is going on in the speed business seems to result in bad customer service. I have Mallory and B&M products that are orphans now.

I9u5BCEI8C37eMB22

Try this again.
epJmxotTkXjLFLZaFIz2UvF7MTBRilgiyg8nPg_PyehA9YpEGEgx3ZuEjpeGRdO6d7iuVc8TNP6cGlIRI6j3IAzrfd56Z1nZ0krQOQfot_4yPZdCJzXIBFAj7YstGWPY5kVGZAo29z9vApbktIBDGLQCyzpWneu0aUZCjcEzEElOaUWCpo2mNMDkxEVZBuYH7qqRToLHQ8tdYtrfXiNM47U8PVc9FOszbUmBCWsf0tNRPbOCK5ryOk1lHhgcrCszWPU7ePZOi188gibqZJ_Lw5nFipVlJFRdeOI3-LskLYGSVTGSBFrJXsTbiECa62ffK0Ja1YkQLInl-tWZOGTf4DpJr3bp3bHCF361oJh-O1WqkihIpix1_y8IhEFetwPe8WXoplhFdymgLq-AlZT1ZzEPGSEI-faEonThL7sPzZvK6xpQ40gIm2eJ6BbFocrv1dT3CTAO7T9NblcV7yydvvCKPM8cxpNIzCC108CVdvYb4-o7aEdLhqK-Lvo7CmRtnBdACSc3xDbSs1Z0xns_QpC6xFCN114SJk7LlUq9uAd2V2H7j9gFHxL4L5xhkdxnDFt-7qYtrlRR4mGdh-2-pBuIPr-g7qxSZueINbg=w235-h177-no

Ah, better. On the right is a cheap spherical rod end bearing that is bending and will snap sometime. On the left is the replacement, a beefy unit that will probably outlive me. These are used on my steering dampers. I've been going over the bucket getting ready for the T-Nats next month. Big trip, to Springfield, IL and then over to Indianapolis to see my 90-yr old aunt and uncle.

Try this again.
epJmxotTkXjLFLZaFIz2UvF7MTBRilgiyg8nPg_PyehA9YpEGEgx3ZuEjpeGRdO6d7iuVc8TNP6cGlIRI6j3IAzrfd56Z1nZ0krQOQfot_4yPZdCJzXIBFAj7YstGWPY5kVGZAo29z9vApbktIBDGLQCyzpWneu0aUZCjcEzEElOaUWCpo2mNMDkxEVZBuYH7qqRToLHQ8tdYtrfXiNM47U8PVc9FOszbUmBCWsf0tNRPbOCK5ryOk1lHhgcrCszWPU7ePZOi188gibqZJ_Lw5nFipVlJFRdeOI3-LskLYGSVTGSBFrJXsTbiECa62ffK0Ja1YkQLInl-tWZOGTf4DpJr3bp3bHCF361oJh-O1WqkihIpix1_y8IhEFetwPe8WXoplhFdymgLq-AlZT1ZzEPGSEI-faEonThL7sPzZvK6xpQ40gIm2eJ6BbFocrv1dT3CTAO7T9NblcV7yydvvCKPM8cxpNIzCC108CVdvYb4-o7aEdLhqK-Lvo7CmRtnBdACSc3xDbSs1Z0xns_QpC6xFCN114SJk7LlUq9uAd2V2H7j9gFHxL4L5xhkdxnDFt-7qYtrlRR4mGdh-2-pBuIPr-g7qxSZueINbg=w235-h177-no

Ah, better. On the right is a cheap spherical rod end bearing that is bending and will snap sometime. On the left is the replacement, a beefy unit that will probably outlive me. These are used on my steering dampers. I've been going over the bucket getting ready for the T-Nats next month. Big trip, to Springfield, IL and then over to Indianapolis to see my 90-yr old aunt and uncle.
Looking forward to seeing that car at Nationals

Spending my lonely hours making a new switch panel for the dash:
TxO_VH1W_iZvePq4eP7Xn5WkrIlzo-TqAnIab6b-NNOvR-7tVW5m3eLo4RR-A2P6XtG5OVFFcvSfebP205LC3RWd0hR2-sLsBoIk5zxnhyZl0BN-Qqnnp462rOujilwMBJFw0TrIFYscD61BJ1pWiCNNHyj7MYwYHMzpZ9LN65wj6kXgxa9I-o1Pq2BYzMA7S3acIu6joGcB8j2of5OJzPbu0-VytzQZEYGgzGQW5boegXrFWVFQlV4b04l2wSCNfmKBGxNhoUy0xvksID3Zp-LgTKH4r7I7wLEy4A_ttfoGgKAwpcAPQXIWoYaXw0Rr7tF2UsXkRTIhrnr9joI9EFaqUFjFZBNMcItx8euplOS_G-eQTyFbEHYYTvgMyqNZVYnN4mO_ZlcZmuSp73JBKQ9ZCyg7LWqS5VC5icE7NSdMTfc_blkCcJU_-oR4rXBo0a3X4cReirus2AfXpz2wJw6i2P9PbtXpnchSn5NzZAz_ub5JG76PWRJnfKzDS0GFBn3h32u--f_03TmFFbr-NWiLRZ0KlMnyaB-mcXDJygCaUuhGyEQDP4uLp6Fbp3UEOcAEq8eM_llReX3c7inW9myLR_IoVXQsjuNRBr3chVY7H39GER6ZMbUuaGWgeN2A=w799-h321-no

Hope to have it in place for the Nats.

Love it, looks really nice!! Most scales go from 1-10, but I see you have 1-11 for Moxie, is 11 for Hyper Drive? :)

Did you do the screen printing for your labels like you mentioned once before? Got any pics of the back side?

Ah, the secret! 11 is louder than 10:

I tried to make a silkscreen, but my materials were old and it looked bad! Like film, the shelf life of the screen material is short. So I just used a label maker.

y1wptSyNMh-_sgmlvi_kTnFaJVVfp3fOqBBT5t5r2lLTylPF8PhN2TCF69qDOWp-TIqu13wgJQ3WNlaoMADs-uxts3FaCmOrbwdeOiiJ0mAs5kO137xVS38wQAGAuFn3ezW9CXDl6DP9UoaT7CY8KlB3Re7I8vI_9EwvVne9wABB2dhLnCZhpLoG8NKp83x_7EmI_F3C66X_aSJmOrH5wbwTei60_6wxfcO2Z6blv1FzX4cv0q7ymOa4KHl1CpNRYWkcG2rsVs4sCbxh9e_EBTifKMjxvFPvw3JCci1whEDb9IzJO6wAwJ3dxKQFHMtZNjSYHKEZbYtukKOQwRfON4bTQ9YYZvIPPbRfggTCqna4_7N7g3iULVafcEQo0pGVdY5ft-as8cF5q-QgI8J_D38-Dw_4bXQ7-VWw1gHt_J3VkgrO68-qQBc_kIa1rpSKTuPQ4hgX9mhRbWC_xCZPCs_Ca21KFrZrR8ZFnc_Qia5QbyTYqgYi-N0TSaA-USNF9MOPn25IalM7MXH-FEjcw69rW-LgkPveHzk0lorpAdjwZQjFJqGMbgzwpQOWp6y7hjR8QZmgfBwj_LaBreRBlX_8K6OE1JpjIsR892k=w648-h308-no

On my dragster I painted the back of a piece of plexiglass red then a trophy shop routed the letters in reverse then I painted the back white and it came out slick. Just another way to do it.
Trophy shop! That's a great idea. And the front is smooth and clean. Should be a way to backlight the piece, too.

Thanks for the photo, but don't you have one with the wiring complete?

How much of a delay from the switch changing position, to linkage completed movement, with
the electronic shifter? I would have to have all 4 forward gears, plus reverse and neutral. Can
that be done without a research lab?

Thanks for the photo, but don't you have one with the wiring complete?

How much of a delay from the switch changing position, to linkage completed movement, with
the electronic shifter? I would have to have all 4 forward gears, plus reverse and neutral. Can
that be done without a research lab?
Patience, grasshopper! I have to pull the dash and get it on the bench to swap in the new switch panel. Shift delay is about 2 seconds. That could be decreased with a little rework and it's on my list. I'll find my notes on the shifter and post them here. Six positions should be doable. The gear indicating lights are driven by a Dakota Digital GSS-2000 unit, which gives a confirmation of the gear chosen and also has neutral safety and back-up light outputs.

On the back lighting for labels if you used translucent (candy colors) that would work but if I remember the router made swirls in the plexi and you could leave it as is or sand it to get the texture you wanted.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back