Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

old round fart

Well I spent some serious money yesterday so I'm starting a thread so I don't hijack Fred's build. Sorry Fred. The car is going to be an updated version of the car I built in 1972. I was a donk for Pete Robinson racing a SOHC Ford top fuel dragster until he was killed at Pomona qualifying for the Winter Nats.
Pete built his own brand of blower drives and I found one so the part search was on for bucket goodies. I found a blower, bought a Spirit stretched body and p/u bed, 14" wide wheels, 18" Hallcraft wires w/brakes, t model headlights, and the big chunk a 454 Vortec Chevy motor!
This is going to be fun! I'll get all the stuff in one pile soon and stack it up for pictures as soon as I can. This project has been in planning for a while so I'm excited.

I am excited for you John, and will be looking forward to watching your build. When are you getting the body? If your picking it up from Spirit, drop by on your way back and let me see. Heck, I would go with you, as I don't have much to do.
Lee

I got the body about 2 years ago. I wanted to see if I could get a door cut in so I could get in as I was rather portly ( to say the least). I have now lost 85 lbs. so I fit better but still have a way to go. You are welcome to visit anytime. When I get rid if my '50 Ford coupe I'll have room for the mock up and serious work will commence. Will you be coming to the NSRA deal in April?

Always wanted a street dragster. Cant wait to see this go from bits to beauty.

Sounds like a great project, let me know when you need a 2nd set of hands. I live really close as you know.

Thanks for the help offer Indy! When I start bending my axle I'll need it! Lee, I'll be in an orange and silver 'flake '65 Riviera.

I'm looking forward to seeing this build as it progresses. The long wheelbase aspect is not my cup of tea...I'm headed in the opposite direction...but that makes this none the less intriguing.

My Scutari was my first bucket. I built it without ever seeing another bucket except in magazines. I was helping a top fuel racer at the time so that was my interpretation of a street driven front engine dragster.

I don't think so. Last time I saw it was about 1980 at a car show with a big block in it. I found the motor but the blower was gone so I gave up looking for it.

Yes. It will be 1 1/2 x .120 wall with 1" vertical eather 7/8" or 3/4" diagonal tubes. May have a 1 1/2 vertical at the motor mount. I want to use 1/8" material for brackets with flanges for strength. Kind of like race car stiff when weight counts.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back