Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

Really like the look of funny car front suspension, hope that works out well. Do you plan to add shocks?

I hope not. My original car was ok without shocks and the torsion bar has kind friction shocks on each end so I will see. The flex in the frame sucks up a lot of vibration.

So when do we get some pics of the completed frame ..... minus the final welding of course???

I hope not. My original car was ok without shocks and the torsion bar has kind friction shocks on each end so I will see. The flex in the frame sucks up a lot of vibration.

My kind of bucket builder. We have been down this route before, haven't we....

After getting the frame on my body cart it rolled real good on the freshly swept floor! Thanks Rick! Got it out for some better lot pictures. Please be gentle on me!
Can I come again sometime and sweep your garage floor ??? :)

It's been a long time coming my friend, all the thought and then actual work you have put
into this car. I know, we have had several conversation over the last two years about it. All
I can say is WOW, you are getting there my friend !!!!! This is definitely a unique design,
being different is half the fun with these cars.

You must be super human to get that off the frame table onto the 4-wheel dolly (body cart)
by yourself !!! What do you figure it weighs ???

You can come anytime you have the urge to sweep! I have my engine hoist! I put a ratchet strap around the frame at the motor mount vertical and it balanced almost perfectly! Tied it down to the body cart and away it went.
I’m still not happy with the quality of the pictures. I’m going to leave it on the cart and try again tomorrow.

Looking good John! Reminds me of an old slingshot chassis. A lot of intricate fab work there. Is there a time line on when it will be a roller? Do you have any drawings on your finished vision of the car? What's the finished wheelbase going to be again? Labor of love my friend. I look forward to following your progress.

I'm really liking this a lot . . .

What size box tubing are you using for the frame, looks like 2X4, but the pics are not that high in resolution to feel more certain.

Also, is there a plan to add some "L" gussets where the side frame rails meet the vertical?

The rear kickup has the angles bisected and welded, but the forward kickup seems straight, and it looks like it's going to take most of the stress right there.

He has been at it since since February 2018 that I know of, no telling when it started in his head !!!

These are some of the first first thoughts he shared with me in Feb 2018.

FrameDesign03.jpg

Pictures from August 2018 with the blown BBC.

FP01_JohnsVision01_0025.jpg
FP01_JohnsVision02_0026.jpg
FP01_JohnsVision03_0028.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for looking. Darlene, the rectangular tube is 1 1/2”x3”x.120 wall the main rounds are 1 1/2”x.120 and the smalls are 1” x.120 and 3/4”x.120. All are DOM. There will be a 1 1/2”x3” rectangular gusset at the junction of the 2 rectangle tubes that will match the angle of the bell housing of the 4L80E trans when I get it installed. It will be the toe kick.
Thanks for the pictures you added Rick. They are so much clearer than mine. Did you take them when we did the mock-up at the big house?

My next step is welding the Superbell axle together and fabbing the steering arms. I have some broken spokes in the wire wheels that will need addressing and tires mounted. The 10” rear end will need the bolt circle redrilled.

Wow! Great work, John. I see this thing taking on the persona of an old A/A fuel altered!

Altered.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back