Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

Got my front suspension mocked up. Took 7 3/4” out of a Super Bell axle to get it to line up with the torsion arms.

Attachments

• AC192199-B823-4C87-984C-4C9BD15B7A3D.jpeg
    AC192199-B823-4C87-984C-4C9BD15B7A3D.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 9ABB85EC-353B-4FAE-9E5B-BC7606BF0D41.jpeg
    9ABB85EC-353B-4FAE-9E5B-BC7606BF0D41.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 65
Great progress, ORF. Tell us again what the wheelbase for this 'slingshot' T will be . . . o_O

Always easier to plan stuff with the chassis in the open air. I am told that UV is good for a bare metal fame.....:giggle:

Spanky I haven’t completely nailed down the wheelbase but I think it will be about 155”. I will try to get out in the shop today and may know exactly later today. If you are wondering the white pvc is the front radius rod.

G'Day ORF, are you using just a radius rod on the top of the bat wing bracket in conjunction with the torsion arm on the bottom? How do you plan on dealing with the caster change as the suspension moves up and down?
Regards,

AusBucket, I don’t think there will be enough suspension movement to make much of a caster change. Especially with the top rod being so long. Thanks for watching.

No problem, I was looking at the arc the torsion arm would take compared to the top arm just moving straight up and down in comparison. Like everyone else here I'm watching with interest, keep up the good work.

Got the motor mounts and trans mount tacked in yesterday. Didn’t get pix of motor but I did get some trans mount pix. Isn’t it just luck the pretty welds are going to be under the car? Lol I took the motor out to finish welding the mounts in and not have to stand on my ear to weld them. I’ll get motor mounted pix in a few days.1D86E374-1883-4C69-8594-135DC1AC6DEB.jpeg01E98255-5356-4E0B-9802-7E59FDBBC9D4.jpeg

Lol! That mount had the best welds I have done to date except for 1 bead I had to do left handed! I haven’t been able to do it again! I think it is that Canadian steel! I modified a Horton Welders Series Mount. I love their stuff.

It takes years of welding to get consistently pretty beads... plus controlled variables.I hate looking at my welds now. I used to be a pretty good welder, not the best, but I felt good about it. Not doing it diminishes ones skills... vision changes don’t help either. Strong welds don’t have to be pretty. Just think, by the time you get finished with it, you will be creating pretty welds, lol!

I respect all you guys that still weld.:thumbsup: Like most I just don't do enough to stay proficient so any welding I need done is done by a buddy of mine who is an aircraft welder. I'm hoping that once I retire I can get back into it.

Been plugging away. Here are a few pix to show progress. I have also made the mount for the rack and pinion steering inside the frame next to the motor. I won’t weld it in until I get the frame back on the frame table for better access for welding. Got the triangulated 4 bar and brake pedal and master cylinder mount on the way. Will be here mid week next week. 7CB51985-B574-44B9-B294-EFB67F69CE7B.jpegD3C71DD1-0DF6-4ED6-946C-1382643EF6C8.jpeg

Way to go, John! This build fascinates me, and I can't wait for each new step. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back