Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Birth of Long John

Progress on the bucket. Been making a bunch of “practice “ pieces. Read cut to short to fit like I wanted! Shortened the vertical at firewall and like it a lot better. Doing all the fitting for the other side so it will go a lot faster. 9780E670-17C1-4ECE-8A1D-C0C611F479D1.jpeg

I had to do a headstand to see it, but nice work.:D I give you credit ORF, I don't have the patience for practice pieces.....you're doing it the right way. Is that a blood stain on the plywood where it says sawhorse?

Last edited:
Push rod I think it’s blood. 36 grit flapwheel doesn’t take long to get to bloody spots! Trying to get a good for TIG I weldingif you take off .020 it makes a 1/4” of fit! I have all the vertical parts done so I have diagonals and they have 2 notches on each end! I’ll be glad to get past the round stuff.

Nice, nothing like loosing a little blood during a build......my blood letting is bound to happen at some point.

Got a little more done on Long John today. Got both sides with verticals tacked up. It’s suposed to be cooler tomorrow so I may get the diagonals cut and tacked tomorrow. I’m going to the big house to get my frame table so I can get the welding completed. Sure would have been easier to use 1 1/2x3” box tubeing! This space tube is a pain in the butt!
The blue tape is the proposed diagonals. E06FA9B4-2C0C-425B-99E7-0A83E24097FB.jpegFC7F92B1-2DC0-4193-BA48-B8D42BCE22DC.jpeg

Wouldn't it be easier to put the diagonals in when you were installing the verticals? ie first vert them a dia., second vert next dia? Thar's if the diagonals are being fish mouthed to the intersections of the verts and the main tubes.

Looking good, maybe a roller this winter ???

Wouldn't it be easier to put the diagonals in when you were installing the verticals? ie first vert them a dia., second vert next dia? Thar's if the diagonals are being fish mouthed to the intersections of the verts and the main tubes.
I hope not! The diagonals will only be 3/4” tubes so I hope there won’t be much fishmouth to make it hard to get installed.

I was out at John's place this last Sunday and look who I caught working on the diagonals
for the frame !!! That is after we got the frame table clean and level. It wasn't over 1° off
to begin with.

John-Hancock.jpg

The man can also fly radio controlled aircraft to, see it on the back wall.

Hi there John. How you doing?? You KNOW you have to get this one on the road before the end of the year; don't you;)

Gerry! Are you going to motivate
Me too?! I need that so bad! Old age has set in and the iron in my blood has turned to lead and settled in my butt!

Had some good weather today and I got some progress. I spent 10 hours getting 2 tubes fishmouthed to be perpendicular to the centerline and level with the ground. What a pain in the butt! At least it’s starting to look like a car[/ATTACH] 95275612-9763-4176-8D3A-E002ED63CBBA.jpegAF17B80A-104F-4BB0-800F-6867827BC02D.jpeg

Attachments

• D20FF986-0C82-428C-91AC-B420A2A08018.jpeg
    D20FF986-0C82-428C-91AC-B420A2A08018.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 20
  • B568BB4E-4375-4095-A2A9-E52121713691.jpeg
    B568BB4E-4375-4095-A2A9-E52121713691.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
With expert help/friends like him close by, you should be through by Xmas!!! He is now retired and his wife wants him to be gone if he don't want to do the Honey DOOs. :D:D:D:D:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::speechless::speechless::speechless::whistling::whistling::whistling: My bad?

I’m afraid I can’t hang with him and his work ethic! I’m to old to keep up with him but he does drive me good! He left here to go for an adventure with the T bucket. I wanted to stab him with a rusty screwdriver! Lol

I’m afraid I can’t hang with him and his work ethic! I’m to old to keep up with him but he does drive me good! He left here to go for an adventure with the T bucket. I wanted to stab him with a rusty screwdriver! Lol
:laugh::laugh:

this is such a cool project. just breezed through the pages to get caught up.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back