Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

I used my long car for a daily driver a couple of times when it was all I had.

Okay.... but you do realize my T is no where near being ready to drive... right? Lack of a drive train being the major issue. So, how am I supposed to drive it to work?

Happy Anniversary

Happy Anniversary Fred.. I still watch that first post every couple months ... love that bit.

Wrong anniversary, but thanks. The anniversary I meant was the murder I took the name of my project from. I honestly had no idea the start date of my build was also that date! Thanks for that!

Woo... finally "unlocking" my build thread. It's amazing the things you find to do on a project, when there's basically nothing going on. I'm still trying to come up with a good daily driver, but I'm having to weed out a lot of cars left over from the hurricane we had. I'm leaning towards a truck, but I live in "truck country" and good used trucks are at a premium. But, I'm still able to get where I need to go, so time is on my side.

The second item on my agenda is the drive train for my T Bucket. My engine guy is very patient, so I'll get back to paying him to complete it. I'm getting the transmission from Jegs, so that will be in the future. Those two are the last big ticket items and she'll basically be done, after I get them. I still need my steering stuff, so I'll be getting items here and there, as I feel the need. A new part spurs the motivation.;) Yea, I'm spreading myself a little thin, but it is what it is.

I recently cut the slot for my brake arm and the access door for the master cylinder. As I write this, I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a hinged door or a lift out piece. I'll decide by supper time. No pics. It's just a couple holes cut in the floor.:rolleyes:

I've been thinking about wiring.... when I felt the need to torture myself. As you know, electricity is the Devil. You can't see it or touch it, but it's there. WTH is that all about? But.... you have to have it, so we figure out ways to tame it. If done correctly, great things happen. If not, your project burns up. No worries.:rolleyes: The last time I ventured into the realm of the electric demon, I had schematics that Exjunk sent me and I wired my car over a weekend. In fact, they're still in the electrical section. Yeah, I tamed the Devil, but it was a battle and frankly, I'm not up to doing battle with the bastard. So, I've been looking at kits.

I'll let you guys know what I choose and of coarse, I'll post the fight results here. Because even with a kit.... the Devil is just a bad ass MOFO.

Last edited:
I recently cut the slot for my brake arm and the access door for the master cylinder. As I write this, I'm trying to decide if I want to go with a hinged door or a lift out piece. I'll decide by supper time. No pics. It's just a couple holes cut in the floor.:rolleyes:

I vote for a lift out piece. The MC is something you don't check that often, and why add hinges if you don't have to. JMHO!:unsure:o_O

I've been thinking about wiring.... when I felt the need to torture myself. As you know, electricity is the Devil. You can't see it or touch it, but it's there. WTH is that all about? But.... you have to have it, so we figure out ways to tame it. If done correctly, great things happen. If not, your project burns up. No worries.:rolleyes: The last time I ventured into the realm of the electric demon, I had schematics that Exjunk sent me and I wired my car over a weekend. In fact, they're still in the electrical section. Yeah, I tamed the Devil, but it was a battle and frankly, I'm not up to doing battle with the bastard. So, I've been looking at kits.

I'll let you guys know what I choose and of coarse, I'll post the fight results here. Because even with a kit.... the Devil is just a bad ass MOFO.
I am a credentialed electronics engineer, wired cars, boats, houses, and commercial stuff forever, various machine repairs, circuit design, PLC programs, process and control design, etc, and I chose to buy a wiring kit. I will customize it to suit me, but for no more than they cost, the simplicity and conveniece trumps building from scratch from my perspective. I could have easily done it with bone yard parts and, or bulk wire and terminals, as could anyone, but there are enough other areas to spend my time and energy on and my project isn't that complex from a wiring perspective, no fuel injection or ecm to deal with. You will do fine. Btw, I ordered my wiring kit from RPM, but it is a speedway kit. It is plenty. It provides plenty of circuits, wire, terminals, etc... it even comes with the correct connectors for my GM ignition switch, alternator, etc. it's pre wired to allow use of factory turn signals, flashers, etc, it's also color coded to simplify the process. Why overthink or try to reinvent if it's not necessary? I get why some guys like to design and build their own, I'm not knocking it, it's just not necessary for most t bucket type projects. I ordered from Ron because I was ordering other stuff from him at the time. If you just want basic electrical functions, a basic kit will suffice, just choose one that will provide the number of circuits and will work with your electrical components. I chose one with a few more circuits than I need for future expansion possibilities. Soo, you can keep the devil in a box, lol... good luck with the car hunt, especially at tax return time. It's a feeding frenzy out there!

I am a credentialed electronics engineer, wired cars, boats, houses, and commercial stuff forever, various machine repairs, circuit design, PLC programs, process and control design, etc, and I chose to buy a wiring kit. I will customize it to suit me, but for no more than they cost, the simplicity and conveniece trumps building from scratch from my perspective. I could have easily done it with bone yard parts and, or bulk wire and terminals, as could anyone, but there are enough other areas to spend my time and energy on and my project isn't that complex from a wiring perspective, no fuel injection or ecm to deal with. You will do fine. Btw, I ordered my wiring kit from RPM, but it is a speedway kit. It is plenty. It provides plenty of circuits, wire, terminals, etc... it even comes with the correct connectors for my GM ignition switch, alternator, etc. it's pre wired to allow use of factory turn signals, flashers, etc, it's also color coded to simplify the process. Why overthink or try to reinvent if it's not necessary? I get why some guys like to design and build their own, I'm not knocking it, it's just not necessary for most t bucket type projects. I ordered from Ron because I was ordering other stuff from him at the time. If you just want basic electrical functions, a basic kit will suffice, just choose one that will provide the number of circuits and will work with your electrical components. I chose one with a few more circuits than I need for future expansion possibilities. Soo, you can keep the devil in a box, lol... good luck with the car hunt, especially at tax return time. It's a feeding frenzy out there!

Thanks! I just looked at Ron's and it should do the job. It's on my "to get list" now. Along with his steering box. Well, crap. That didn't take a lot of thought. Guess I'll go mess with that M/C cover.

Thanks! I just looked at Ron's and it should do the job. It's on my "to get list" now. Along with his steering box. Well, crap. That didn't take a lot of thought. Guess I'll go mess with that M/C cover.
If you are interested, when I done my floor, I chose to make a door that is hinged. I was concerned about a plain cover or hatch staying put without some fasteners and I plan on just using spray on bed liner on my floor, so I didn't want to see or feel with my feet, any fasteners pertruding. It was quite a bit of work, but I managed to make a door that opens and lays flat when open. I had to rout out for a recessed piano type hinge and also installed a desk style lock. Everything is flat and smooth when closed and I reinforced it underneath so it's strong enough to walk on, etc. I encapsulated everything except the lock in fiberglass when I glassed the floor. It is designed so water and air won't be able to penetrate and other than the small gap around the edge and the lock, it's visually un noticeable. It was a lot of work for a seemingly small thing, but it's nice, strong, and functional. I looked at several door kits that are available, both steel and aluminum, but to fit my particular needs, I decided to just make it. I had pics on my build thread but I think they went away due to the photo share site greed issue.

Thanks. My other T had a hinge and it was okay, but I just happened to have a couple hinges laying around. The hinges protruded a little, but not enough to notice through the carpet. This time, I'll make the top removable. I kept the piece I cut out, so I'll just make a way for it to fit in place. I'm not going to give it more effort than it needs. I just need to get off my butt and do it. But it's my day off and I'm feeling lazy.:p

I got home, uncovered my build and wondered if I could talk myself into a short pickup bed. Couldn't do it, but it was fun to try. Covered her back up. Hmm.....

Thanks. My other T had a hinge and it was okay, but I just happened to have a couple hinges laying around. The hinges protruded a little, but not enough to notice through the carpet. This time, I'll make the top removable. I kept the piece I cut out, so I'll just make a way for it to fit in place. I'm not going to give it more effort than it needs. I just need to get off my butt and do it. But it's my day off and I'm feeling lazy.:p
Motivation is in short supply around here lately. That darned couch!

A week or so ago, I cut out the access hole for my master cylinder and brake pedal arm. I saved the piece of the floor I cut out and adhered it with 3M 5200 Fast Cure to a piece of 16GA. I added a small knob to pick it up and remind me which end is the front.:rolleyes:. It fits just right. Nothing fancy. In my last T Bucket, the hole was smaller than I liked. So, I made this one a little larger at 4.25" x 8". The access cover is 6" x 8.5".

full

full

Last edited:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back