Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

"Black Dahlia"

I learned from experience that once you reach 50+ years old, it will be hard to find a good paying job again as labor is cheap and companies are no longer obliged to its employees for profits out way the dedication that used to be from the employees. Benefits are sparse and they are looking for people that do more for less, but may also require a degree in some form just to apply. JMHO

Good luck finding a new job. Maybe you'll get lucky and not have to take a pay cut.

Sucks being laid off. Figures, when you finally get time to do things, the money dries up. I quit working for others long ago for similar reasons... not that being self employed is a picknick, but at least there is some control. I wish you the best of luck finding suitable employment.

Well, progress has slowed. My position at work got sourced out, so I'm laid off. Down, but no where near out! The price of oil has been going up and welding jobs are looking good. So, to celebrate and keep my motivation going, I ordered and received my steering wheel.

It's not the 4 spoke Bell I had my eyes on, but it's a 4 spoke and the "holes" theme, to match my front axle and shock brackets, swayed me over. 13.5" in diameter with a nice grip. Now, when I play "ZOOM ZOOM", I'll have something to hold onto.;)

full

When I built my engine I had to make some choices and tried to make them easy to correct
in the future. So this winter I replaced my cheap harmonic balancer with something appropriate
with the rest of my quality engine build. That was 3 years in the making.

Much easier to swallow another $300 dollars down the road, when there is NOT all those other
$1000 expenses mounting up.

You can do the same down the road, besides they are never done. Keep the faith brother !!!

We all do what we can with what we have and what we can afford. No shame in that. That's what I feel when I read the car magazines and read about the "featured car". Someone built the engine, someone did the body work, someone did the interior, someone did the paint. All the owner did was get out his checkbook. Most of can't afford that kind of stuff.
I realize that all of us can't do everything ourselves. You may have to farm out some things. But there is some satisfaction on saying" I did it myself".
Just sayin'.

We all do what we can with what we have and what we can afford. No shame in that. That's what I feel when I read the car magazines and read about the "featured car". Someone built the engine, someone did the body work, someone did the interior, someone did the paint. All the owner did was get out his checkbook. Most of can't afford that kind of stuff.
I realize that all of us can't do everything ourselves. You may have to farm out some things. But there is some satisfaction on saying" I did it myself".
Just sayin'.
That is so true. You never see a pro-built bucket. We bucketheads do it ourselves our way. Our rides are unique and personal. And covered in our sweat and blood.

If it wasn't for those guys that pay to have things done we wouldn't have the advertisers we have on this site, so we need them, too.
I think most folks that build buckets do much of the work themselves. Some of us work in places/ jobs that allow us to make a few or a lot of the parts we need. Others rely on our advertisers to supply those parts and do the assembly themselves. We need the advertisers to help this site stay alive.
It's kind of like watching those home improvement shows. Most of us couldn't afford a tenth of what those people are having done.
Hence, Home Depot, Menards and Lowes.
Enough complaining.

I'm driving my dream because of the advertisers on this sight. I'm not a welder so I needed CCR skills in making the frame and other parts. Their knowledge and skills keeps me safe when I'm driving. For those of you who can fabricate your own parts, I'm jealous but happy you share your knowledge. Thanks to you guys I'm driving a safe and fun T bucket.

Progress, but no pics yet. I called the guy building my engine and explained my being laid off. I still owed him quite a bit and he's helping to get me on the road. So, instead of getting a stroker motor, I'm getting a milder 350 that he had sitting in his shop. I supplied some cash and ordered all the top end stuff, which makes me paid in full. Carb, dizzy, intake, etc. The parts will be here Friday and I'll drop them off this weekend.

That's awesome, Fred. Happy for you. I, too, had dreams of a stroker for my T (no $ available when I needed the engine), but after a couple years with my little mild 350, who needs it! I still scare myself when I floor it, and the cam provides enough lope to get the Mustang-boys attention. :D:rolleyes:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back