Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body for 6'-2", 300# guy

monsolo

Howdy! I'm building a t-bucket with my boys (ages 16, 14, & 13), and we're working on the 350 SBC overhaul right now. We're close to starting on the frame but I want to get the body first to make sure the fabricated frame will be the right dimensions. As stated in my thread title, I'm 6'-2" and weigh about 300# so fitting into a conventional body ain't happening... I know because I've already tried! I've heard of lengthened and widened body manufacturers but we're new to this hobby and need some direction. I'd like to be able to ride comfortably with one of my boys... they're not fat like me but they are tall! Who would you guys recommend going with? o_O

Compare dimensions of the CCR and Spirit stretch bodies. I think they both have 5" more length in cockpit, and the CCR has 3" more in cowl. Width and depth are more problematic. I don't know of any widened or deeper bodies and not sure how they would look. I'm 6-1 and 280 and I've resorted to sitting on the floor and tilting the seat to get low in the car and still have some leg room in my CCR body:
bucket%2520plan001.jpg

PotvinGuy, that's a good idea! I'll look at both... I just looked at Spirit bodies and saw their lengthened version. Thanks!

I just looked at CCR bodies and their long body sounds perfect! They're lengthened by 8" and have a floor integrated into the body. I'm going to take a long hard look at that one...

Ron Pope has the longest body, thinking it is 60"from firewall to back of body, my Spirit extended is 56". For your size I'd give RPM a call. If you want a tub T Wintec has a nice roomy body, and if you wanted to carry only 2 in it, you could push your bomber seat way back to get a ton of legroom.

+1 on calling Ron Pope (RPM) His body has the extra length in the cowl that it sounds like you need. Ron can even set you up with a frame fully welded or you-weld-it. He has the brackets and such at some pretty good prices. He is a forum sponsor and an officer in the National T-Bucket Alliance, so he lives and breathes these things.

Okie Steet Rods has a body 8" longer ans6" wider. They are HUGE! I bought the Spirit stretch for the price. I wanted to build it my wat and stretch the doors an extra 12".

One advantage in buying from Ron is that he is not that far from Indy that you could not drive to Tenn. and pick up your body and associated parts. That way you'd save shipping and handling which can really drive up your costs. IMHO Besides that, you can get to meet and talk face to face with Ron who is a great guy to deal with.

Jim

I agree 100% about rpm and the other sponsors. I came across a body months ago in my planning stages that is longer and wider. I think 6" wider and 6" or 8" longer. It was from corbin rods in georgia. I went with ron because of his reputation. Good luck, Mike J

I agree 100% with Ex Junk you can save a ton of money driving to RPM's and getting all your parts from him , and you would benefit from talking with a man that will help you in ways that you can't think of until you get to that part of your build. I have dealt with him a lot and have never been disappointed.

I agree 100% with Ex Junk you can save a ton of money driving to RPM's and getting all your parts from him , and you would benefit from talking with a man that will help you in ways that you can't think of until you get to that part of your build. I have dealt with him a lot and have never been disappointed.
AND you get to see the body before you buy. Fiberglass bodies, well, are not all equal. If pulled from the mold before completely curing, they can warp and droop. I once bought a body advertised as "street-ready" and it was about as sturdy as the cardboard box it came in. Had to line the whole thing with coremat. The rework cost more than the body!

You should PM Mike, the administrator and fearless leader of this forum. He lives close to you and may still have a brand new T-bucket kit for sale.

Guys, you rock!! Thanks for all the recommendations... I'll definitely PM Mike as well and see what he has. I have the feeling you'll see a lot more of me as we get down and dirty getting this thing built in time for summer cruises. Thanks! :thumbsup:

I'm going with a 27' RPU bucket instead of the typical early 20's style, mainly to get more room. I like the wider and longer cowl. I'd probably go with a widened 27' body if I could find one for a price I could afford.

I have a 23 body that has a 27 cowl grafted onto it. It is widened to the 27 width with the extra room. I am located 250 miles away in White House TN. Here is a link to a slide show when I had it for sale on craigs list. I would take $650 for the body.

Monsolo, What a deal. I'd snap it up if I were you! I have a 10" stretch, but did not get the extra width.

I have a 23 body that has a 27 cowl grafted onto it. It is widened to the 27 width with the extra room. I am located 250 miles away in White House TN. Here is a link to a slide show when I had it for sale on craigs list. I would take $650 for the body.

Where about around Nashville? North, South, East or West? I have some friends around Shelbyville area.

That Okie body is quite the beast as well. Good to see plenty of options for the "larger" folk.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back