Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Body Mount to Frame

PaulR

Hi,

Well, after nine years since starting my project I now have a CCR body for my T. It sits on a CCR frame. The body has the metal framework for the door and seat in it already. The heads of the bolts used to mate the metalwork to the body prevent the body from sitting flush on the frame rail. What did you guys use so the fit flush on the frame? Did you grind down the heads of the bolts? Use socket head bolts? Drill the frame and use the expanding rubber and bolts (don't remember the correct name of them)? Just looking to see what has been done before. I have to admit, I have sat in it and made engine noises.

Thanks in advance.
PaulR

A photo might help to see your problem. If I am understanding it correctly, your might use elevator bolts, if the nuts go on the inside of the body. Any good fastener supply should have them. Lowes shows having them. You could make your own easily enough.

Hi,

Well, after nine years since starting my project I now have a CCR body for my T. It sits on a CCR frame. The body has the metal framework for the door and seat in it already. The heads of the bolts used to mate the metalwork to the body prevent the body from sitting flush on the frame rail. What did you guys use so the fit flush on the frame? Did you grind down the heads of the bolts? Use socket head bolts? Drill the frame and use the expanding rubber and bolts (don't remember the correct name of them)? Just looking to see what has been done before. I have to admit, I have sat in it and made engine noises.

Thanks in advance.
PaulR
I am bolting down through the body and the steel reinforcements into the frame. I plan on drilling a larger hole to the bottom of the frame so I can access the nut with a socket. I am also using rubber strips between the body and frame, still rigid, but no squeaks or rattles. I made all of my metal, so not the same, but same theory.

I used 3/8 "nutserts" on the top side of the frame with 1/2" thick 3" diameter round aluminum pucks bolted through the 3/4 plywood floor with large washers to keep the body off the frame. No squeaking. Some people use webbing and bolt the body directly to the frame.
Would like to see pictures of steel reinforcements in the floor/body to advise further.

Paul, the bolts going thru the metal framework and body floor are intended to go directly into a threaded hole in the frame. There might have been nuts on them to hold things together during shipping but those will not be used once on the frame.CCR Kit Body Detail.jpg Standard Body Door Support szd..jpg

Hi,

Thanks in advance.
PaulR

Awesome, Paul! Now I REALLY want to check it out before you bolt the body down! Man, I can't wait to order my CCR body!

Awesome, Paul! Now I REALLY want to check it out before you bolt the body down! Man, I can't wait to order my CCR body!

I ordered the body the beginning of Dec. last year and it came to the door the end of Feb. It came in great shape. It looks like it will take a minimal amount of prep when it's painted. I also had the bed sent as well. Real happy with the whole process so far.

PM me Fred.

We can set a time up and you can come on by and look at it all you want.

PaulR

Hey, Paul! Any updates?

I thinks so also 2old. That is why I used nutserts for headlamp and shock mounts.
Lee
After several runs I have found my headlights brackets and other bolts backing out. I might need to use some medium lock tight to keep things together. One of 3 of the headlight bolts go into a nutsert the other 2 are just through the frame. Will lock tight solve the issue?

After several runs I have found my headlights brackets and other bolts backing out. I might need to use some medium lock tight to keep things together. One of 3 of the headlight bolts go into a nutsert the other 2 are just through the frame. Will lock tight solve the issue?
Won't hurt, can you use poly lock nuts?

Won't hurt, can you use poly lock nuts?

No, no access to the backside of most. I really didn't think there was that much vibration to back bolts out. So, something to keep in mind for those building. I will try medium strength lock tight, I hate to use the red as that is difficult taking apart.

No, no access to the backside of most. I really didn't think there was that much vibration to back bolts out. So, something to keep in mind for those building. I will try medium strength lock tight, I hate to use the red as that is difficult taking apart.
A little heat helps it come apart, FYI. I had a dirt bike that would sheer the flywheel key every time without red lock tight. But when I had to service the points, it was a bear. Heat softens it. You could also flatten the threads a little, just enough to create an interference fit.

Some years back there was a pic of a T in an accident that had the body held on with what I believe was poly nuts. (bolt into a rubber bobbin that expands as you tighten the bolt up?) The body parted company from the chassis when hit from the side by another car. Personally I would not entertain anything else than a piece of round bar, threaded and run from top to bottom of the chassis rails, then welded in place at both ends. My two rear mount bolts also have a steel bar running between them for extra contact area with the body.

Gerry, your talking about "well nuts" , Flech is talking about "nylock nuts"

Gerry, your talking about "well nuts" , Flech is talking about "nylock nuts"

Oppps, my mistake, sorry. Just I have heard that some do use "well nuts" to hold bodies on frames.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back