Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Brake Brain Fart

Rick

VIP
VIP Member
While running my brake lines TWO YEARS AGO!!!Laying under the car i got turned around and plumbed the front(small)part of the m.c to the rear and the rear part to the front.I went through a set of pads last year in only 300 miles.:):)

The small chamber should go to the rear if you have drums it takes alot less fluid to make drum brakes work. You might want to check your proportioning valve adjustment.The front could be doing all of your braking.

putz said:
The small chamber should go to the rear if you have drums it takes alot less fluid to make drum brakes work. You might want to check your proportioning valve adjustment.The front could be doing all of your braking.
Thats wrong Putz i have disc brakes in the front.And it takes less pressure to brake with discs than drums simply because the shoes have further to travel than the discs.hence less fluid.

Less pressure but more fluid.That is what i was talking about.surface area of the calper is alot more which equals more fluid.

I thought the larger MC section is to replenish the larger pistons on the disc calipers as the disc pads wear the additional Fluid is needed for the calipers so large res for disc side. Small side for wheel cyl. . Thats the reason the corvett MC with both resivors are large Disc front and rear.Am i wrong

I think thats not right but i'll reserve jugment till more folks chime in.

rooster57 said:
I thought the larger MC section is to replenish the larger pistons on the disc calipers as the disc pads wear the additional Fluid is needed for the calipers so large res for disc side. Small side for wheel cyl. . Thats the reason the corvett MC with both resivors are large Disc front and rear.Am i wrong

I agree with the Rooster.

Rick did you have a residual valve in the system that caused the brakes to wear out so quick?

Now this pissis me off cause i had talked to you on the phone and we dicussed this and you said the small goes to the front.This is nuts.Im out of here.later.

There is a resident brake expert on the NTBA site that recommends plumbing the master cylinder "backwards". That is with the smaller reservoir to the discs and the larger to the drums. His reasoning is that you will then have less braking power on the front discs and they will not lock up the front wheels before the rear drums. He also believes that you do not need residual brake valves. There are some that follow this way of thinking but I personally prefer the "conventional" manner with the large reservoir to the discs and the use of residual valves. IMHO

Jim

Rick said:
Now this pissis me off cause i had talked to you on the phone and we dicussed this and you said the small goes to the front.This is nuts.Im out of here.later.
Jeez Rick, take a pill or something!!

EX JUNK said:
There is a resident brake expert on the NTBA site that recommends plumbing the master cylinder "backwards". That is with the smaller reservoir to the discs and the larger to the drums. His reasoning is that you will then have less braking power on the front discs and they will not lock up the front wheels before the rear drums.

I've read that, and tried to get an explanation on the NTBA forum as to why hooking the master cylinder lines up "backwards" gives you less braking power on the front. The bore size is the same for both front and rear sections of the master cylinder, so pressure would be the same front / rear no matter how they were hooked up. Where does the reduction in front braking come from?

Bob

That is how I see it also, you want the big (reservoir) to the front for extra needed fluid to the disk brake cyls. and use no valves that take away pressure to the rear brake shoes... Let then do more work, save the life of the ft pads...BTDT myself.. :D

Rick,

I too have to agree with the big chamber to the front disk theory. Every racing tech book I have goes with this thinking. I have attached la ink to a PDF tech sheet from one of the after market brake companies (and there are many). Scroll down to page 18, #3 for a visual on disk/drum master cylinders mounted below the floor. Hope this will help you out. Good luck.

George

Proper Plumbing for a disc/drum system - Pirate Jack - Hotrod, Restoration, & OEM Auto Parts

Go to Downloads/Catalogs & Tech Guide/ Tech Guide. This will open a PDF guide.

When I was working in the shops on brakes, it always seemed the port by the mounting flange (typically the bigger one) was the front. And it is very easy to get them crossed up even in conversation.

As the shoes of a drum brake setup wear the adjustments are made mechanically by parts within the drum. The hydraulic fluid requirement remains consistent over the life of the brake shoes. When the pads on a disc brake unit wear, the adjustment for that wear is made hydraulically. Thus the larger reservoir to handle the greater requirements for the entire life of the pads.

The application of the braking system during a stop only requires about 1/3 of a cubic inch of fluid to be transmitted. That is about the size of a Starburst candy piece.

Pill is taken and i feel much better now.After changing the lines small to front already i'm going to try it that way and see what happens.The other way (large to front)i was getting way to much braking in the front.By the way i have Wires in the front and have the little Willwood 175 calipers up front.I also had the prop. valve wide open and still to much brake to the front.And yes the rear brakes are adjusted up.Lets see what happens and i'll let you guys know what happens.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back