Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

brake diagram

rooster57

Does anyone have a diagram of disc front and drum rear brake line diagram with all the nessessery prop valve, check valves, etc.

When using a dual master cylinder with Disc front, Drum rear combinations you need residual check valve for the rear or better yet use a adjustable proportioning valve. Typically the large reservoir side is for the disc brakes, and the small reservoir side is for the drum brakes. However, the best brake expert I know... Sir Patrick of Immense Girth... aka Fat Pat says and I quote:

On a "normal" car, the front disc brakes ALWAYS go to the large reservoir. Reason for this is that disc brakes "use" brake fluid....as the friction material wears and the pistons move out in the caliper bores...brake fluid displaces the space behind the pistons. On a 4 wheel disc equipped "normal" car, the reservoirs will be the same size. I always recommend hooking up the lines backwards on these funny little cars that we all love so much, because the hi pressure side (large reservoir on a disc/drum M/C)should go to the end of the car with the highest rolling resistance, ie; the rear drum brakes....this also helps keep the smaller front tires from locking up prematurely

Note: The only time I've heard Pat say to use the larger reservoir on the front disk brakes on a T-Bucket is if you are using the WILWOOD 175 single piston caliper with motorcycle style disk on wire wheels (like I have)...

Do not use a residual pressure valve with 4 wheel Disc brake systems. The residual pressure will cause the calipers to drag.

An adjustable Proportioning valve allows you to balance the pressure between the front and rear brakes for smooth safe stops, as disc brakes require considerably more pressure to operate than drum brakes. Without a properly adjusted proportioning valve, the drum brakes will lock up before the discs do which can result in handling problems. Proportioning valves are also useful on 4-wheel disc or 4-wheel drum brake systems, giving you the ability to compensate for tire size differences, weight distribution, etc.

Make sure that the bleeder valves on the calipers and the power booster point up when installed. Air cannot be fully bled from the system unless the valves are installed in the up position.

BrakeDiagram.jpg

Thanks AL i think i purchased the wrong MC mine has both reservoirs are the same size oops i think. Thanks for the drawing.

I found an artical that said if the MC is lower than the wheel cyl and calipers you need 2 residual pressure valves 2 psi front and 10 rear. i did this and also installed a wilwood adjustable prep valve in the rear circuit as well. How do i contact the man of girth.

rooster57 said:
I found an artical that said if the MC is lower than the wheel cyl and calipers you need 2 residual pressure valves 2 psi front and 10 rear. i did this and also installed a wilwood adjustable prep valve in the rear circuit as well. How do i contact the man of girth.
I have wire wheels on the front with Wilwood calipers single puck and had to take the residual valve out of the front cause the calipers were draging.

rooster57 said:

Best way would be to post on NTBA T-Bucket Technical Q&A section with heading "Fatpat - got a brake question" !

NTBA Message Board - T-Bucket Technical Q&A

http://www.nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb2005/main.asp?board=1

What year chevy do most guys ask for at napa for the MC if i need to replace it.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back