Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

brake pedal

Johnny

Another newby question.
I have heard of bending the brake pedal so it is on the left side of the steering column. I'm going to be using Spirit's 27T body. Where is the pedal situated in relation to the column on this body? If ya bend the pedal arm, will it still have the correct leverage to apply brakes?

Also, did I read somewhere that the ford disc brakes and spindles are lighter than the chevy, and this helps keep the unsprung weight down and helps prevent wobble in the steering????

Thanks

Johnny I hope this helps. Several guys in the club I am in has their brake pedal on the left side of the column that doesn't shorten the pedalany it just moves it over to make more room for the gas pedal.

If you use the brake pedal Spirit supplies for their '27 chassis, it will come through the floor to the right of the column. Having recently driven a T with the pedal to the left of the column (mine is to the right), I can say having it to the right feels much more natural to me, based on 45 years of driving vehicles with the brake pedal right next to the gas pedal. I suppose one would get used to having it on the left, but I sure didn't like it.

As far as bending the pedal, other than minor tweaking (+/- 1/2" maybe), I wouldn't. You are going to be changing the geometry of the lever arm and possibly introducing a twisting moment which could cause binding and uneven wear of the pivot. We'll see what the chassis gurus have to say...

We always bend them on the left side. It's easier to brake race that way.:lol::lol::lol: Funny thing is, I've gotten so used to two footing it that I even drive my daily driver that way.

Don

Danged old left foot's sitting there with nothing to do anyway. Might as well put it to use.

Ron

donsrods said:
We always bend them on the left side. It's easier to brake race that way.:lol::lol::lol: Funny thing is, I've gotten so used to two footing it that I even drive my daily driver that way.

Don

That is one of the reasons I asked about the brake pedal. I have used both feet my whole life. How do you go about bending the pedal??

Thanks

Heat cherry red with a torch in a line across the area you want to bend and then simply reshape it as you want. Putting it in a vice and heating right where it is clamped helps get a straight line and true bend. Do not quench it with air or water, let is cool naturally.

Just make sure you heat it sufficiently so it bends easily and isn't cracking the metal. No magic to it at all really.

Don

I myself just make a special set (two) pedal pads, and bolt it to the pedal as is, no heating and bending needed this way, and now you can use either foot to stop.. I always use my left foot to keep the Quick T Buckets from hitting anything, as they move car lengths, not feet like a stock car... :lol:

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back