Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

brake problems

jimsopals

I have a big problem with my brakes.
I let my car set for 2 years and had to replace the master cylinder,now the front wheels lock up and I can't stop.The car has disc brakes on all four wheels.
Would a proportion valve help? Also the pedal is very hard.Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank Jim

If you are using DOT3 fluid in your system, the two year hibernation probably allowed moister to accumulate in the system causing rust. I suggest that you tear the system apart and THOROUGHLY clean EVERYTHING. Then reassemble and add NEW fluid and bleed system.

On all the cars that I have built, I use all stainless lines and fittings along with silicone fluid because it does not attract moisture. Doing it this way will allow a long hibernation without any worry.

Jim

jimsopals said:
I have a big problem with my brakes.
I let my car set for 2 years and had to replace the master cylinder,now the front wheels lock up and I can't stop.The car has disc brakes on all four wheels.
Would a proportion valve help? Also the pedal is very hard.Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank Jim

Was everything in the brake system functioning correctly *before* the car went into storage? Is the new master cylinder the same model / specifications as the one you removed?

Bob

When you release the brake pedal the piston in the master cylinder has to travel all the way back to it's open position. Not within 1/16" or so, all the way. That means that when the pedal is released and has traveled all the way to it's resting position, there should be a little play between it and the rod that goes into the master cylinder. I have left this thing just SLIGHTLY tight in the past and had the same problem.

Jeff

Thankyou for all the ideas this should thake me a few days to try them all will get back to you at a later date thanks for all the help
Jim

Well I
got the brakes to work,but would like them to work better,does anybody know anything about vaccum pumps and would I need a storage system to make it work?

So you have power brakes? Are you running a big cam with low vacuum is that why you need a pump.

Yes I am running blower .Years ago I installed a forklift power booster that seemed to work ok than,but eather I am older now and don't have the leg strength because I don't stop as easy as it use to.
Thanks
Jim

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back