Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Brian's Bucket Build

BrianD

Well, Let the fun begin. I got all my stuff from Ron the other day and about to start my build. The garage sure filled up fast. This big boy body is huge and I should have plenty of room inside. I have the frame mounted on my motorcycle lift table, get's it up off the floor so I don't have to bend over too far. I'll try and post some photo's later, I need to resize them. What size do they need to be to post properly?

You look like you are a pretty well organized type of person with all those bins on the
shelves. BTW, very nice photos, what resolution did you use?

What's that duct work dropping from the ceiling for, are you stealing HVAC from the house?

The photo's are 640x480. The boiler for the heat and water heater are in the garage and keeps it nice and warm in the winter. Perfect for a winter project. I'll have to work on getting an a/c duct out there.

Well, while I'm waiting for the final pieces to start mocking up my suspension. I thought I would start positioning the master cylinder/pedal mount on the frame. They say there is no such thing as a stupid question,so here it goes. I have it clamped to the frame where I believe it needs to be, I have about 4" of pedal travel before it hits the firewall, which translate to about .5" of pushrod travel. Is this good? Is there a magic formula for calculating this? I'm trying to keep everything as close to the firewall as possible so I have enough leg room. Does the assembly need to be welded or can it just be bolted to the frame(I don't weld)?

Brian

I would have it so it doesn't hit the fire wall. Does the pedal ass. have a stop or travel limiter " built in"? PICTURES!!

There should be a spec for the master cylinder telling you how much stroke it has. 1/2" of travel sounds a little short to me.

photo.png photo (1) - Edited.png
Well I think I found the ideal spot for the master cyl.. Also mocking up the front end. Next step is to mock up the rear axle,but I have to wait for my brother and a friend of his who is a welder. So, I'll start running the brake lines and hoses. Slow and steady wins the race.

Just a heads up.
before you weld home the brake pedal assembly you might want to mock up the steering column and have the trany in so that you can measure both clearances, and comfort for the brake pedal.
I did mine so that the brake pedal was on the right side of the column with about a half inch of clearance and it was the most comfortable spot for my foot.
So basically you want your seats mocked up, your column and steering wheel mocked up, and your trans mocked up so that you know you have clearance and are comfortable the way things lay out.

Just a heads up.
before you weld home the brake pedal assembly you might want to mock up the steering column and have the trany in so that you can measure both clearances, and comfort for the brake pedal.
I did mine so that the brake pedal was on the right side of the column with about a half inch of clearance and it was the most comfortable spot for my foot.
So basically you want your seats mocked up, your column and steering wheel mocked up, and your trans mocked up so that you know you have clearance and are comfortable the way things lay out.
Very good advice!

Jim

Just a heads up.
Put the seat in it also.

Just a heads up.

Thanks for the advice. I believe I have the pedal assembly where it needs to be, however the pedal arm will need to be moved to the right a little bit to clear the steering column. I have it located as far forward as I believe possible, I'm 6' 6" and need all the leg room I can get. Also, I don't have the steering column or seats yet. I think I'll just bolt it on right now and if it needs to be moved, I can then move it easily.

Brian

photo (1).png photo (3).png photo (2).png
Well I've been a busy on the build, slow and steady. Suspension and brakes are done (hopefully going to get the brakes bleed today). The tires and wheels should be here next week so I can get it on the ground and rolling. Then the engine and trans can go in,Yea!

I also bought the big boy body & frame from rpm. I'm trying to get the chassis rolling I'll start a thread pretty soon.

I've been bad lately and haven't posted any updates. I've been busy and my project is coming along nicely (I think). I'll get some photo's together and them in a couple of day's.

Brian

X3. Its hard to have to take it apart, grind a good weld off for the sake of an 1" either way. JMHO
G

Just a heads up.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back