Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Building a T-Bucket

T-Test

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Just my opinion here!!

Why would anyone try to build a better T-Bucket[Mouse Trap] just to be different? Especially if you have money issues or disabilities? NO condemnation intended Here. In the long run you will pay a lot more than you expected too, usually 2 to 3 times more to redo all your mistakes. And if you have no mechanical knowledge about cars and the geometry/physics/ mathematical/welding/electrical--etc. to complete the job, and know not what you are doing, it could be my life or the lives of others that you put at risk for being different and unsafe. The tried and true ways of the sponsors here have done their due diligence in manufacturing their parts to be safe and affordable. NOT paid to say that, but am more than qualified to say it.

I am in no way saying to give up on your dreams of an affordable hot rod to ANYONE wanting one. But sound reasoning and common sense should dictate your limitations in doing so. Ted Brown, one of my inspirations in the T-Bucket craze from the early '70s, has an Idea of building an under slung suspension for a T-Bucket to make it ride like a Cadillac. With every dream there are inherent problems to be solved and corrected to make it safe and affordable to exist. It is feasible with his knowledge and experience, but at this stage in his life, WHY I ask? He and many others have put thousands of miles on their Buckets with LONGHAUL trips of a 1000 miles or more at a time, and were comfortable doing so. And at what cost? He has a beautiful Bucket that he has had many years without any trouble, engineering wise, and to his credit along with Jerry, I think they have mastered the T-Bucket to a T, no pun intended. Every change people make to a proven design, doesn't make it better. Some so bad they aren't drivable. Just to be different. I can go to any car show, T-Bucket event or your next door neighbors and see the difference in every one , individual taste if you prefer, yet they all still have the same basic platform. Paint,trim,accessories, what have you makes them individual to their owners. Even the ones with a round tube frame and not your typical rectangular steel frame use the ladder frame configuration for the strength and flexibility to work.. So keep building with the mindset--SAFETY FIRST--functional--practical --looks-- and safety is ALWAYS FIRST in that list.

NOT INTENDED TO INSULT OR MAKE ANYONE BIGHEADED !!! JMTCW

In my case, you answered your own question for a large part with the line "Especially if you have money issues or disabilities?". I don't have the money to build the typical chrome and performance part laiden bucket...nor would I probably want to if I had the bucks....it's just not me. And then comes to the disability issue. The typical bucket is about as far from handicap friendly as it gets.

Not every diversion from the usual will need to be redone, or will be inherently unsafe. Not everyone choosing a different path is doing so cluelessly. One of the biggest draws of hot rodding is it's enabling of individuality.

For my own project, safety is the primary issue. I'd be more than happy to give pics or CAD files to anyone who wants to check my plans for safety issues. I welcome any input I can get from anyone who has experience. I want the pitfalls pointed out. That's why I have spent 2 years researching, planning, and getting input...rather than jumping in more cluelessly than I usually am.

This is exactly why I chose to have a T-Bucket. Although all of us need to be safe, there are no "rules" as to how it is done. Unlike having a pristine 55 Chevy where many people know exactly what it should look like, these cars give us the freedom to express our thoughts as to how it could be done.

"Why would anyone try to build a better T-Bucket[Mouse Trap] just to be different?" Because that's what free thinking people do....... with EVERYTHING. So, maybe we should all wear the same clothes, same shoes, live in the same style houses, drive the same cars. And to be safe, we'll wrap ourselves in flame resistant bubble wrap. GAWD! That sounds SO boring, it's damn near crazy.

But you know what's REALLY crazy? I spent 5 minutes responding to this thread.

The question is, "Why not??"

If a person has the time, ambition, and some money to throw at it, why not??

For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone sits on their ass and watches football on TV, but Super Bowl Sunday(today for those reading this5 years from now) is proof that millions do just that.

No offense to any professional builder or anyone else, but I don't want one that is like everyone else, or like anyone else. It's hard not to take ideas, etc from others as there are only so many viable options, but that's the whole point in building, or re building in my particular case. If my t wasn't from the period it is with the parts it has, I wouldn't have bought it. Not that it's all that special, but it takes me to a fonder time. I very seriously doubt there will be another like it at any cruise or show I attend. It will be a piece of me. I do agree that if you don't have the skills, or the exposure to someone to assist you learn them, buying pre fabbed parts or a car makes sense and would be safe, but no matter how safe you try to be, stuff happens! You have to start somewhere if you want to learn this stuff, and if you have special needs, or wants, I doubt it would make sense if money is an issue to have a builder with pre fabbed jigs, etc stop and deviate from their protocol for a one off car. I am sure they are more than capable, and could do it. I personally have always done everything myself, from necessity in the beginning, then from pride and habit. The sence of accomplishment drives me, or it used to. My theory was the expense of the job would buy the tools and materials, then I had it.... It didn't always work out, but I have lots of tools, lol! I grew up around guys building houses and cars, etc, so it's in my nature. It's good that guys who know how to do it are willing to share their wisdom and advise with less experienced guys. Thank God that we live in a place where you can still build and drive what you want if you want!

I've seen a lot of people who think building something unique also involves re-inventing the wheel. I don't share this opinion, I think that @T-Test was sort of saying that he doesn't think this is necessary either.

I informed Jim Bagass of the new forum last night and he plans on posting.

Jim

I am curious where a lot of past members are that was active on the board? Seems like there are the same folks posting on the board daily but seems not much new members or even old members posting on the board. Looks like since Jan 1 2016 12 people have only joined the board.

I looked at the stats and it seems that 11 new people per month is about an average.

@T-Test where is he anyway. This thread is almost a year old.

Sorry about that. I was looking at some of the threads that were posted while I was gone and ran across this junk. I REALLY wish I hadn't.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back