Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cannot post or reply

sschutze

I'm logged in on my phone to post this. I'm not sure what happened, but I can no longer reply to posts or start threads for over a week now from my PC at home or at work. It says I'm not logged in, but my name appears at the bottom of the main forum page as having activity in the last 15 minutes. If I click the login button it acts like the login was successful but still shows the login button at the top instead of my user name like it normally does. I even tried registering a new account but that one did the same thing. Funny that I can log in from my phone though. I cleared cookies and temp files. Any suggestions?

I'm logged in on my phone to post this. I'm not sure what happened, but I can no longer reply to posts or start threads for over a week now from my PC at home or at work. It says I'm not logged in, but my name appears at the bottom of the main forum page as having activity in the last 15 minutes. If I click the login button it acts like the login was successful but still shows the login button at the top instead of my user name like it normally does. I even tried registering a new account but that one did the same thing. Funny that I can log in from my phone though. I cleared cookies and temp files. Any suggestions?
Had the exact problem on 3 computers at my house ... mine was fixed by upgrading from IE8 to IE9. I think Microsoft released a patch\upgrade that whacked everything on all 3 of my computers,

Had the same problem, could not login, think google chrome was the culprit, but at the same time went to IE9 ??

dave

Been having the same or similar problem with IE8 (on Vista) and Firefox (onLMDE). I found that Chrome worked, so then upgraded the windows machine to IE9, and that is what I'm using right now. Very strange indeed! Mike spent a ton of time working on it, but could not duplicate on any of his machines. Weird, man...

Corley

Just realized I can't upgrade to IE9, running Windows XP on all my machines, does this mean I am SOL ($hit outta luck)?

BINGO! Now I know what is happening. OK, for anyone having this same issue, sit up and take notice.

Steve, if you've genuinely been having this problem, for over a week, then you are the earliest, known instance of this issue. But you have managed to confirm my suspicions as to what has been going on with every one else.

The issue you describe is caused by one thing and only one thing. Your browser is not accepting the proper cookie, or session ID, from the forum software.

This can only be caused by a couple things. Either your browser security settings have been modified to no longer accept cookies, or your browser's cache is constipated. That's it, the end of the list of possible culprits. Absolutely nothing else can cause this problem.

See Post 16 for a link to help you clearing cache. Read through that topic and follow the instructions, exactly as I have posted them. Do not cut any corners.

I've been working with 5 or 6 people who have e-mailed me about the problem. With one of them, I suggested clearing cache and the problem was fixed. With four others, I have had them send me their passwords and have been able to successfully log into the forum and to successfully post. I've been trying as many as seven or eight different browsers on as many as three different computers with as many as three different operating systems. The only difference being that my browsers are not suffering from overloaded and corrupted cache, because I clear cache on my systems, multiple times a day, every day.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem, trying to register a second account is not going to fix the problem. Because you are going to try using that second account with the same browser that is the actual cause of the problem. Steve, it looks as if you registered at least two additional accounts and I have deleted both. If there are any others, will you pass along the account information to me, so I can delete those accounts as well?

As Milt mentioned, I am wondering if a recent spate of Windows updates hasn't created some of this problem. A security update recently installed on my Win 7 machine "could" have been part of the problem. Without knowing exactly how Redmond coded the update, I really cannot say for sure. On the other hand, Corley was also experiencing problems on a Linux machine. So I am really not sure why the problem has kicked up, but with what I have learned from Milt, Corley and now from Steve, I know the problem is most definitely cookie-related. Don't ask me why so many people are suddenly having the problem, but I am now 100% certain the problem has been identified.

For those who don't understand what cookies are, your browser is full of them. When you visit this site, the site software sends you a cookie, which lets your browser and the site communicate with one another more easily. When you visit a topic you've not previously viewed, the site software and the browser agree you have now visited the topic, so it no longer appears with an unread topic icon. When you decide to log into your account, you will receive another cookie that carries a unique session ID. When you log out of the forum, if your browser is working as it should, it drops that session ID cookie. if you're someone like me and belong to dozens of forums, logging in and out of them repeats this process, receiving cookies, receiving session IDs and subsequently dropping the session IDs on logout. But if your browser decides to play up on you and fails to drop a session ID, you now have a problem on your next visit to that site. You visit the site and the site software tries to send your browser a new cookie and your browser ignores it, since it sees it already has a cookie saved with a unique session ID. You try to log in and the site software recognizes your log in details and the database now shows you as being logged in. But the software also sends you a new session ID cookie for that particular session. But your browser is holding onto the previous session ID and refuses the new ID. So, you move to a new page on the site and suddenly the site software sees your browser is communicating with that old session ID, which it already knows is invalid. So, the site dumps you back out. You try again and the same thing happens. Someone like Steve tries to register some new accounts and the same thing happens with each new account. The site can't send you a new session ID, because your browser has an outdated ID caught sideways.

People, there are no laws against having multiple browsers installed on your computers. And it can often be an excellent means to diagnose problems. I use multiple browsers to test changes I have made to my sites, to ensure everything works as it should with each browser. This Linux machine has a Beta version of Firefox 3, a Beta version of Firefox 4, Epiphany 2, Midori 0.3, Chromium 10 and Opera 10 installed on it. The Win 7 machine sitting next to this machine has Firefox 3, Firefox 4, Opera 10, Chrome 10, IE 9 and Safari 5 installed on it. My iMac has Firefox 3, Firefox 4, Opera 10 and Safari 5 installed on it. My notebook has all of these same browsers installed on both the Windows and the Linux partitions. When I make a change to one of my sites, I test the change with all of those. If something looks wonky about a Web site, I can easily open another browser to see how it looks there. I know, when you arrive here and have a problem, I'm your whippin' boy. I've obviously changed SOMETHING and managed to break everything. The problem is always down to me and there is no way it could ever been on your end. That's just part of the territory, when operating Web sites. But you need to know I'm actually more than a little anal about things working as they should.

When I upgrade a script, I test it and make sure it is working as it should. If the script is a Beta version and something is not 100%, I will flag everyone up, as I did with the recent Gallery upgrade. When a recently-departed "expert" was telling me how the registration process on this site was somehow broken, he was failing to listen to what I was saying about having tested that process on multiple machines, using multiple browsers. If you ever see a user named Test on the site, that will be me. And just because you cannot be too careful, the user named testaccount is also me.

The last change made to this site took place mid-morning on 22 March, when I upgraded the Gallery. Absolutely nothing else has changed. I have proved this by taking other members' log in details and successfully logging into the forums with their accounts. I have not had any problems, whatsoever. But I want to remind you I clear cache history at least twice a day and even more on some days. It takes me all of about 20 seconds to do it and it prevents me from running into browser issues.

If you're running a Windows computer and you use Internet Explorer, that's all well and good. But you can also download and install Firefox 4, Chrome, Opera, or Safari on that same computer. And by using at least one other browser, you can often diagnose online problems on your own. Browsers are free for the taking, so why limit yourself to only one? Install them all and run all of them at the same time, if you want. Or run a different one for each day of the week. You just might find you like the layout of Firefox is more user friendly than IE. Or you might be lured in by Chrome's speed. With all the testing I've been doing these last couple days, I've been discovering Epiphany is trying to attract my attention away from Firefox.

For those of you with multiple vehicles, do you drive the same vehicle every day, for every occasion? Why do you feel you need to limit yourself to just one browser and use it, day in and day out.

Would any of you drive one of your vehicles without simple maintenance like oil changes? I hope you will understand how easy browser maintenance is and how it doesn't cost a dime and will not even require you to wash your hands after.

Internet browsing seems to get a bit easier every day. New operating systems do a pretty good job of sniffing out Internet connections and new browsers pretty much work, straight out of the tin. But it's not yet a perfect science and problems do crop up, from time to time. Some basic maintenance will keep those instances to a minimum. Now if you have a propensity for tinkering with Internet connection settings or browser settings, then you can expect to end up with some self-inflicted problems. If someone else is tinkering with things behind your back, that's going to create problems too.

Have you cleared your browser's cache today? If not, shame on you. Now go do it, straight away or there'll be no dessert for you this evening.

Mike,

While I did try clearing the cache of EVERYTHING (IE asks you what you want to clear), in fact I did that twice, I'm really not a big fan of that fix yet, if indeed it does fix anything. It did not fix the problem for me... The reason I say I'm not a big fan of it is that first, it didn't fix the problem for me, second, I've never had to do that as a fix for any other problem I've ever had, because third, cache SHOULD be managed by the system and you should never have to clear it, and forth, it does create a bit of hassle when all the rememberred things for other sites are lost and have to be re-established. If it has fixed a problem for anyone else, then great, there is an MS problem with it, but I'm just not sure that has been substantiated to my satisfaction. (I'm just not optomistic I guess.) All that said, if it works, do it.

IE9 definetely fixed the problem on this machine. You are correct about MS's IE9 though, it's no improvement over (the unbroken) IE8 that I can see, and several things are not to my liking at all with it. (Why does MS feel they need to move crap all around anyway, messing up the few things you liked about it to start with? ) Also, I notice some things that are not working correctly with it so far, could be me, but I think it's not very well debugged. PLUS, you can't put it on an XP machine. Based upon that, I'd recommend some other browser over it for the time being...

Corley
PS Perhaps Bill G. needs a brain transplant, first he breaks IE8, then says you can't use IE9 on an older machine? I assume he feels this will spur sales of a new op sys... What it really does is drive people to other op sys's! Linux just looks better and better...

The reason I say I'm not a big fan of it is that first, it didn't fix the problem for me
Which I did point out. However, you are the single exception in this instance.

...second, I've never had to do that as a fix for any other problem I've ever had...
With all due respect, I suspect the other fixes you've applied for other problems could have been fixed by simply clearing cache. And note, I did not say ALL problems WOULD have been fixed.

I don't know if anyone else recalls seeing the issue, but Invision coded up a sales script I thought I could use here to replace the Cube Cart script used on the store. It worked well for that, but it also wanted to take over the sponsor ads displayed at the top of the page. And it started displaying two rows of ads. I had several browsers open at the same time and every single one of them cached those two rows of ads. I cleared the PHP caching system I run at the server level and every single browser still refused to dump that second row of ads. I accessed the site from another machine and it only showed a single row. I even tried doing hard refreshes on each browser and that failed. The only way I could get the browsers to display properly was to clear cache on each one.

With my job, I spend a lot more time online than most people, but the fact remains that if I was not clearing cache as often as I am, I would be running into problems. That's the reason I've adopted the technique I use. It's Sunday and a slow day for me. I woke this machine up at about 6:15, this morning. I just checked and in 6.5 hours, I've been logged into 28 different forums and 8 different blogs. I've visited countless other sites. Most people are not that active and, as a result, will not experience a lot of what I do. But it only takes one session ID to get hung up and then the problems start.

I'll not go into the nightmares I used to have when I had a second caching system running at the software level on the old vBulletin software. It was nearly enough to drive me insane. Server caching, software caching and browser caching were all conspiring against me, I swear it.

...because third, cache SHOULD be managed by the system and you should never have to clear it...
The operative phrase there being the word "should". :winkn: Users should update software when it becomes available. People should observe laws. I should have known better after the first divorce. Actually, someone should be coming over here to buy my lunch, but that doesn't seem to be happening either. :rofl:

...and forth, it does create a bit of hassle when all the rememberred things for other sites are lost and have to be re-established.
I treat all my computers as if they are in a shared environment and prefer not having anything cached. I do not use password managers on any of my systems, for the same reason. Some people like the convenience of password managers and the like. I am of the opinion this can lead to unauthorized access and refuse to store any of that information. I log into the forums when I get here and I log out when I leave. When a browser asks if I want a password remembered, my answer is not just no, but Hell, no.

I touch wood when I say it, but I have been online for well over 30 years and I have never been the victim of a virus, nor have any of my accounts ever been compromised. I practice over the top security on all of my systems and it's never let me down.

HERE is what Microsoft says about clearing cache. If you read the note at the bottom of the page, you'll see it says "Deleting everything can...solve problems with your Web browser..." They do mention it can result in having to enter passwords again, but as I said, I already do that anyway. But when the people coding a browser admit clearing cache can solve browser problems, it shows me they are aware it will be necessary at times.

I'm still at a loss as to why you were having problems on two different operating systems. But everyone else who has either successfully cleared cache history or has moved to an alternative browser has been able to get logged back into the forums without any further problems.

Another thing I don't understand is why I am only having this problem on this site. I can login to all of my other sites with no problems

Mike,

I'll only add that I wasn't really thinking of passwords being lost as the items that would be destroyed when clearing cache, as you are aware there's lot's of other stuff kept in cache by some sites. I quite agree that if it works, do it, it just seems like the browser programmers could have done a better job... I started programming back when it was plugging wires into control panels, (late '50s) and have been at it ever since, so I know how difficult some of these issues can get. Thanks again for all the hard work and research you put into this stuff...!... Since I retired, I try not to think about how this stuff works, I try to just use it, but when it doesn't work properly, it's very frustraighting because I start thinking of all the CRAP MS has thrust on us, and MADE us pay for and all the heart ache it has caused.

Off soap box,
Corley

PS Have you noticed that now with IE9, sometimes when I hit return while enterring these replys, it inputs a double space, and sometimes not? What's with that MS? Also, now it scrolls the first charactor left, half off screen at times while enterring data. Also, if I use the scroll bar for the entry box, the bottom line I enterred will be partially out of the box when the scroll bar is all the way down. I never noticed that before IE9! Maybe it's just me...?...

PS/2 I have a friend who I swear has a black cloud hanging over him, he has so many problems with seemingly simple things. He came to see me on Friday, and that's about when things went to hell, maybe he left his cloud here! HA!

PS/3 Did you also notice that after installing IE9, Outlook Express (laughingly called Windows mail in Vista) operates a little differently?

Since I roved away from IE and went for Firefox I have not had a problem. Wife used IE on this same laptop on her account and its slow and troublesome. All of you can (if you want to) download Firefox and use it. Dont thank me now but a couple of thumbs up later may be nice.
Gerry

Used IE for over 20 years before I made the swap

Sorry Mike, can't follow the link to clear cache, linky-no-worky
Trying using THIS.

PS Have you noticed that now with IE9, sometimes when I hit return while enterring these replys, it inputs a double space, and sometimes not?
Aggravating, isn't it?

PS/3 Did you also notice that after installing IE9, Outlook Express (laughingly called Windows mail in Vista) operates a little differently?
Oh dear, I never use anything that starts with the word Outlook. I use IE reluctantly when it must be done. Outlook? Ain't gonna happen. :no:

Steve, I wish I had an answer for why it has been happening. I've noticed there are several people griping they are unable to log into the NHRA site with Firefox these last couple days. I've no idea what is causing that one, either. I had two e-mail accounts disappear from one of my other Web site accounts, 3-4 days ago. I've used those addresses on that account for over 7 years and they suddenly started playing up. I checked the site's control panel and both accounts were gone. That one has me fooled and the host's techs fooled as well. I'm damn thankful it hasn't been any more widespread than it has, but why have such a small handful of people had the problem, when the rest of us haven't?

All I know is that it's been 7 hours since the last e-mail about the problem and that's getting close to a record for the last 3 days. <fingers crossed>

I cleared the cache already, didn't help. I mentioned the link not working in case someone else was unfamiliar with it.

Also, corporate has our work computers locked down, only an admin can install software so that's not an option (our state contract limits what we can use until they test it, we are still using XP)

Steve, when you're on a network like that, you may have an admin make a change that can cause you grief on secured Web sites, too. If you can develop a friendship with an admin, that can often pay dividends. Something to keep in mind.

Whatever the problem was, I am hoping that it might finally be over. It's been 24 hours since the last complaint, so I am hoping we can get everyone and everything back to normal.

If anyone is still experiencing problems <cringe>, send an e-mail detailing what is happening to - webmaster - and send it to this domain, which is tbucketeers.com. Put together, that would all look like name@domain.com.

Mike,
I normally use either a Vista machine or an LMDE machine. Yesterday afternoon I had a chance to try logging in from two different XP machines I have in the shop, one worked just fine, the other failed. I used MS update and scanned for updates on both, and both are up to snuff on updates. The one that failed worked fine when I tried using Chrome. It's not obvious to me what's happening at all! As for Steve's issue, I wonder if there is a browser he can run from an .exe file, that he doesn't actually have to install to use? I don't know of one, but...
Corley

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back