Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carb Issue

JetMech727

Came home tonight, smelled gas and found that leaking (red circle). It's actually drained the bowl dry.

Has anyone ever had an Edelbrock carb leak from there ?? Never seen it myself. Not even sure what it is. I suspect it's a plug of some type to block off a fuel passage.

2019-03-02 01.11.59.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure that's where the leak is? Try sealing up that plug with sealer, then fill the float bowl and watch it. I'm guessing it's more likely a gasket in that general area. Just my 2 cents . . . :cool:

Used to be able to drill them out and drive a lead shot in , now I don't know if you can get a lead shot ?? Break out the epoxy ....

A small piece of lead from a wheel weight will work just as good as the lead shot.....Don't need to ask me how I know...….LOL....

I had a situation like that some years ago. I dripped some thread locker (Locktite) on and let it seep in. Was as good as new. Just make sure you don't use too much. You don't want to block off any passage that's supposed to be open in there. Might not be good for everyone.
Just sayin'.

Are you sure that's where the leak is? Try sealing up that plug with sealer, then fill the float bowl and watch it. I'm guessing it's more likely a gasket in that general area. Just my 2 cents . . . :cool:

Unfortunately yes Spanky. Rather it was a gasket. With the engine running I can see it weeping out of the center of whatever that is. Their is another one in the same location on the opposite side but it's not leaking. Thing is why do they both appear to be drilled? Carb is new so it must of been done at the factory. Hopefully I can get that question answered by calling the tech line on monday.

Good call on the lead shot Lincolnut & 2o2f. Didn't think of that. I think what I'm going to try is a bit of JBWELD to seal it off. If that doesn't work I'll pull the carb and try the lead shot.

Unfortunately yes Spanky. Rather it was a gasket. With the engine running I can see it weeping out of the center of whatever that is. Their is another one in the same location on the opposite side but it's not leaking. Thing is why do they both appear to be drilled? Carb is new so it must of been done at the factory. Hopefully I can get that question answered by calling the tech line on monday.

Good call on the lead shot Lincolnut & 2o2f. Didn't think of that. I think what I'm going to try is a bit of JBWELD to seal it off. If that doesn't work I'll pull the carb and try the lead shot.

Good luck on getting an answer from the Mfgr.

And when you get to be as old as lincolnuT, and experienced, you will have something new every day.

Jb Weld may have a problem sealing that. The small piece of lead can be installed with out removing the Carb, trust me on that...

Not many people older than me & T-test......So yes we do know lots but not much on the other hand....

What???I've never been anywhere or done anything in my life!!:D:D:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: I never left home till I was 60 years old____39 Jack Bennys age---OK?

I had the same issue several years ago with fuel leak. I did remove carb where the leak was at top. Cleaned area with carb cleaner, put a piece of masking tape over the hole, cut out area to repair. Used JB Weld and never had a problem since.

I haven't forgot the way home yet!! Just delayed once in a while.Already lived more than 45 years past due date

Now fix that carb with all the info you received JetMech!!.

You can simply replace the leaking plug. They just press in like a freeze plug. You might be able to expand the existing one with a drift or the like.

Good luck on getting an answer from the Mfgr.

Agreed. Most likely just a frustrating conversation. But worth a shot. Maybe I'll talk to the right person who can send me the proper plug.

I had the same issue several years ago with fuel leak. I did remove carb where the leak was at top. Cleaned area with carb cleaner, put a piece of masking tape over the hole, cut out area to repair. Used JB Weld and never had a problem since.

Thanks Lee! Figured JB Weld would be a good solution.

You can simply replace the leaking plug. They just press in like a freeze plug. You might be able to expand the existing one with a drift or the like.

Good solution if the proper plug can be found. Not sure their is enough material left to push around for a good seal. I seem to remember plugs like this coming in quadrajet rebuild kits. I was taught to install them using clear lacquer nail polish as the sealer. I doubt the nail polish on the market today is fuel resistant though. Miss the good ole days. I could probably walk into any shop and find a mechanic who's got a leftover plug laying around.

Leaning heavily towards the JB Weld. Especially since others who have replied have had success using it. May do a test with clear nail polish and gas before I commit to JB Weld though. Gotta get it fixed this week tho. Wife is leaving Thursday to visit family in NM and I'm on vacation the following week. So I'm batching it for a week and want the car drivable.

Thanks for all the good suggestions! :thumbsup:

It's pot- metal , I wouldn't want to beat on it too hard ....... warranty??

Doubt warranty is an issue anymore. I purchased it on 06/06/17 and that's when warranty starts. That's the sucky part about taking so long to build a car. Not a big deal in this instance tho. Have had some great suggestions and it should be a simple fix. I'd be a little more upset if it was an engine, tranny or 3rd member issue tho.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back