Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carb or EFI

I know three different guys who bought carbs from Quick Fuel for their racecars. Each one was tuned to match the engine when it arrived, didn't even need to change the jets.

I am also thinking about buying a pair of those to replace the Edelbrocks on my 392 that has a 671 blower. I already have a pair of 580 cfm QuickFuel carbs on a 327 with a split tunnel ram and they work great. There is absolutely no hesitation when I floor the pedal from a standing start at idle. Please let us know how your new ones perform.

As @Kevinrevin wrote, my QuickFuel 580 cfm carbs also came tuned for my engine and I didn't have to do anything to them to make them work well. I believe with the blower carbs you will have to hook up manifold vacuum lines to boost reference them but that is easily done. Actually, if you like blower surge you might not have to even do that.

Last edited:
As @Kevinrevin wrote, my QuickFuel 580 cfm carbs also came tuned for my engine and I didn't have to do anything to them to make them work well. I believe with the blower carbs you will have to hook up manifold vacuum lines to boost reference them but that is easily done. Actually, if you like blower surge you might not have to even do that.

As I understand it, you only need to boost reference the carbs if you're using a blow thru setup . . . . as long as it's a draw thru setup, you shouldn't have to do that.

As I understand it, you only need to boost reference the carbs if you're using a blow thru setup . . . . as long as it's a draw thru setup, you shouldn't have to do that.
You have to even in a draw through situation. The link below shows how to set them up although some newer Holley/QuickFuel (and maybe other) carbs come with a tube to the power valve already sticking out of the carburetor.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1511-how-to-modify-a-carburetor-for-boost/

Last edited:
That is very close to EFI territory. Think I’ll keep saving a while longer. At the rate my build is going I’ll have plenty of time.

I’m pretty sure I’ll have to finish sooner than that! I’m 76 so I need to get on it! I have been tinkering with my front end and think I have a pretty good handle on it. With better weather I’m running out of excuses!

For my dual 4's on my T I run a pair of evilbrock 1404's 500CFM For as stock as my engine is I think it will be plenty for my engine. I just haven't decided if I will set the carbs on progressive linkage of tie each carb to the other and have them both open at the same time.

Progressive linkage can save you some gas.

Well, its hard to beat a couple of well setup holleys on top of a blower, and there are some carb. mfg.'ers that are resistant to the seperation of the crap E85 thats forced on us. Now, that being said, I love the carbs and have done them long enough to know how to tune them.
HOWEVER, EFI systems are both proven on the street, can be had in kit form for either tunnel rams/blowers/turbos. Ethanol, if you have the tuning capabilities within your efi/ign. system, more power/torque can be had without washing out your rings, wear in your bores/bearings, you can actually make more power. The offset of this though.....your car will start faster, going up and down hills/ altitude won't affect the EFIs, and after they've learned the habits of your engine, will only use as much fuel as needed, no more.
You can outfit a roots blower with a twin throttlebody efi kit, for about $2000-2500 range. If you already have a blower, looking to replace your carbs, its a win/win situation....with the right ign. curve, blower ratio, and a efi, your engine will run cooler, idle better, make more power, and let your engine last longer....
I love carbs, but this crap gas is gonna get worse, plus folks are trying to outlaw our internal combustion engines, the EFIs do a great job of injesting the mess with little distress, and IF tuned correctly, will put out maximum power....

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back