Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Carpet ?

butch27

What are you guys using for floor carpet? I bought some cut pile and when I try to cut it the stuff unravels .

What are you guys using for floor carpet? I bought some cut pile and when I try to cut it the stuff unravels .

You should use automotive carpet or boat carpet. Never use household carpet.

Jim

I used an industrial floor mat - like what you see when you enter a business
The uniform rental company we use has them -- saw them at a car show swap meet
I bought 2 of them 10.00 each cut them up and fit them in on the floor
Worked really well and fairly weather proof -- they don't un ravel

Could you cut all the pieces and take it to an upholsterer to sew a finished edge on it? You could also hand sew it. I was looking at this last night and they were showing what type of needles to use. It doesn't have to be pretty as it is all hidden.

Most of the T's I have seen with automotive carpet are bunched up or full of wrinkles. I like the beach towel idea.

Mine just has a coat of bed liner. I never know when I'm going to get caught in the rain and don't want to worry about carpet getting wet.

Many home carpet places can sew a vinyl band on small carpet pieces. They use these for entrance mats. You could cut your mats and try one of them to sew on a decorative band.

Mine just has a coat of bed liner. I never know when I'm going to get caught in the rain and don't want to worry about carpet getting wet.

Many home carpet places can sew a vinyl band on small carpet pieces. They use these for entrance mats. You could cut your mats and try one of them to sew on a decorative band.
I have considered using bed liner. I questioned a LineX dealer about it. My floor, hump and all is 1/4" alum. The dealer said, he had lost his a$$ doing another all alum deal. It kept turning loose and he had to redo it, finally refunding on the job. That has been what has holding me back. Anyone with experience in lining alum?

I'll be putting nothing on the floor of mine. I intend to use composite boat decking material for my floor. It comes with the color all the way through the material...white or black, and in some cases grey. Also, in some cases it is available with a non-slip surface made in.

I use indoor/outdoor carpet from a big box store. It is cheap and easy to cut with scissors. I use hot glue to hold it in place on my wood floor and don't sew it or use any edge material - just cut it in sections and butt it. It is reasonably durable and OK to get wet when I get caught in the rain in my topless bucket. When it gets worn enough to replace, I use a heat gun to soften the glue and it easily pulls up. I use the old pieces as a pattern and have new carpet ready in no time. It may not have the look of good automotive carpet but is suitable for the overall low-end look of our bucket.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back