Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cars we wish we still had..

Jim B

1968_Catalina.jpg I was reading with interest a discussion going on in another thread about the cars people have sold but wish they had kept. Perhaps we should post some pix of these old rides. I don't have a pic of my old 1968 Green Pontiac Catalina but this one is close. Bought mine in 1973 and the tired 428 motor no longer was putting out the 375HP once claimed, I am sure. It was a factory Hurst 4 speed on the floor...WITH a leather front bench seat long enough to sleep on. Mine had the tachometer out on the hood like the GTO. Sold it in 1975.

Never used to take photos of my cars, but my favorites were my 51 Vic, 56 Crown Vic, 33 3 window chop and channel, and my 64 4+4 Morgan. Lots more, but those were ones I let get away and wished I have kept.

At one time (in the '70's) I was into cars from "across the pond" and here's a few of them. I wish I still had the blue '64 E-type. The Healy was the most work - it was literally in baskets when it was given to me (my wife laughed at me). Her favorite was the XJ-6, which she drove daily for a couple years.

biils cars.jpg

jims ta.jpg Jims 78 Transam.JPG Although I don't have pix of many, here is a cool one. Smokey and the Bandit special, only in brown. A big 400 cube engine making a whooping 220HP. :) 1978 TransAm. Bought it around 1980. Sold it about 1982.

AEFqaZZFL0g5htoGrfqSf0XSu59ZLTTQwzPFrU-vwBWbWvxJjG1xUp10IPFeMt9kIruroBXRIzp1M6qSEnTQbrc2DIA6gz7Kh6ms2hVybmD8Io7GXq-5W76bZ9Unsa99OFDw_jlILMrXvr251ozy-Y8SOjplT2oKrphoKnLz2PfZ5ANyZrEhH2bW60GhlUTvL8UE_cg6kJeWZdMV5WnldJxWlwcHFESnFUr1eQmZNsgD3541ocMnlv0H5YdEL6rPydvJsyx-42OSNgeTXcAw0XiPFG0rtmlSt4mruE3aIXDY3G_BQMzN4-EjzYVonTBCiSrpUzOuVv9uzdzAEQhKfuhk15w78MVwgSO-6_svuLcvQxqRggwIvfisFgS9na_MUEdmLau06DqBrf7XCts5eZpZj7Vh7V7yIZyzOwuCl2gOEbLhnX_xiyY6OG7XkHtzx_H2qQwKSN53ioLjVMurs8A4J4s8WHeS0H6JEP_wAU1k5wwt_9w_ys9EmxQyoIsk0lOhcxCqyqG8oUmj1Q4yX09R6VlV27j0bHLhpOZ9e1mmzLM7y_w1hMoKPo49x3wFSYnSvDrN6PIYbj4MAPNn8WmmVP7ALOEeTQVHsLVWub61KlbEHd9ItwGu8aZKson_NqQ6LaBywfQ4Hh-HhQy7cspLFSnizGDA=w434-h890-no
This is the same car i picked up in 1980 new off the lot it was $8000 then

77 dodge.JPG Figure in inflation and I bet that 8k was a lot of money back then. My first new car was actually a short stepside 1977 Dodge. Cool little truck, paid $3900 out the door.

Last edited:
I miss a few: 67 impala ss 396 black/black; 65 sport fury convertible; 66 coronet, 70 Mach one, 302 4 speed, red, black interior. Several others, but the money they would bring today... unreal.

My all time most favorite car was my 1967 Dodge Coronet 440, 383, 4 speed, silver w/ black interior. It was fun, it was fast and it was a little loud.
It could do long burnouts. Great car. I lost it in a bad accident. I've been looking for another one recently. A piece of junk is $5,000. A nice restored one is $25,000 to $40,000 plus! Oh well.......

Any one of these: 71 Javelin, 67 Falcon w/302 & dealer add-on a/c, 72 El Camino, 67 F-100 step side

I had a 71 Javelin as well. BUT, my buddy in highschool had the fastest ride around- his 1968 AMX. 390 tricked out engine, 4 speed, no brakes. Never even wore the seatbelts, lucky we lived. looked like this one.

Attachments

• 1968 amx.jpg
    1968 amx.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 12
It had some brakes but they were so crappy. Way under powered even for that little car. But if you think about it, the weight reduction by taking those heavy discs off the front might help pick up a little time in the quarter. :laugh:

In HS we had a number of kids with sports cars (MGs, Triumphs, etc), a few customs (shoebox Fords, '50 Mercs) and even a real hot rod ('32 Ford, chopped & channeled w/ Cadillac V-8) - but nothing like that! WOW!!! Did you give rides at lunch time? :geek::laugh:

I went to High School in the ‘60’s with 1600 kids. There was one guy that had a cool car. It was a 1955 Ford 2 door sedan. Black primer. Dual exhausts. Noisy mufflers. He used to do burnouts outside of school all the time. That was the only cool car there.

Did you give rides at lunch time? :geek::laugh:

Had no right seat Spanky, but occasionally my buddy would ride with me sitting on an igloo cooler that would just fit between the rear tubs. He would arrive at school before me with a couple gallons of water in hand. I'd roll into the water hit the line lock and do a nice smoky burnout across the back of the parking lot. My shop teacher would have the overhead open for me and I'd drive right in and park it. Usually did this on Fridays when other kids had managed to talk mom or dad out of their TA or Camaro for the day. My shop teacher would usually take the heat for me. Was a different time and I sure had fun.

Sure could not get away with that today, but so cool for the time when we grew up!!!

Built it my jr year of hs. Would love to update it and put it on the street. I was working at a race car fab shop at the time. Owner of the shop helped me build a full tube frame for it. Actually drove it to school a few times. Fortunately it was fairly close.View attachment 16911

That is the coolest high school car I have ever seen. How about some scooters? Here is my old Honda 1976 750 that I painted, striped, put a fairing on and tried to make it into a pseudo cafe racer in 1979. Wish I had that two wheeler back as well.
honda 750 2.jpg

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back