Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cars we wish we still had..

I also had one new cant remember how much it cost back then but i think it was $1800 , with the 5 speed used to blow off the Harley ableson friends

My 350 c.i.d. chevy powered Triumph TR7 ( a.k.a the wedge ). Had a TH 400 trans & a 1980 v8 Monza rear end. The body was a f.h.c ( fixed head coupe ).

I remember those. Never ran across one with a V8 though. Rode in a friends big block powered Vega one time and thought my heart was gonna stop. It was so unpredictable! (The car, not my heart)

Hi jimb. A tr8 is a tr7 with a small factory installed v8. I believe it's a rover aluminum v8 , which originated @ general motors in the early 60s. I've owned a few Triumphs in the past.

Correct. They used the Rover V8 a direct copy of the small Buick alloy engine. I seem to remember the Buick was a couple of Ci smaller; 216 springs to mind.

The Rover version was the UK Hot Rodders choice for decades until they became rare and expensive to rebuild. Almost always needed lifters, rocker shafts etc. A set of hydraulic lifters for one was the cost of a good weekend away. The advent of 'cheap' crate motors from the USA took over.

Correct. They used the Rover V8 a direct copy of the small Buick alloy engine. I seem to remember the Buick was a couple of Ci smaller; 216 springs to mind.

The Rover version was the UK Hot Rodders choice for decades until they became rare and expensive to rebuild. Almost always needed lifters, rocker shafts etc. A set of hydraulic lifters for one was the cost of a good weekend away. The advent of 'cheap' crate motors from the USA took over.
You can but a crate engine for the cost of rebuilding one now... parts and machine costs have risen...

Car I wish I still had: 1964 E-type Jaguar Coupe. 3.8 L OHC 6 with 3 Su-HD8s for carburetion. A real runner & head turner.

Jag.jpg

Well . . . couldn't afford a new one; bought this one in 1978 for 3 grand. It needed new bearings and a little electrical work. It was a nice, rust-free, never crashed car. I sold it a couple years later for $4,500 to an airline pilot who did a total restoration on it. And I thought I made a killing!:mad:

Well . . . couldn't afford a new one; bought this one in 1978 for 3 grand. It needed new bearings and a little electrical work. It was a nice, rust-free, never crashed car. I sold it a couple years later for $4,500 to an airline pilot who did a total restoration on it. And I thought I made a killing!:mad:

Spanky, . . . the Prince of Darkness himself made those electrics . . . . . there's NO such thing as "a little electrical work" on anything British . . .

Now now, lets not be rude...;)

If you have ever tried to pull a head off of one, you will view them in a different light... been there! Steel studs through aluminum...

Continental GT Enfield...

Very cool 'weak beer' effort from the UK. Us Brits know nothing about design or engineering....

2013-12-28_25 [640x480] (2) (2015_11_13 11_07_31 UTC).JPG

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back