Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Cheap and pretty easy neutral safety switch.

Driver50x

In my T-Bucket I really couldn’t find the space to mount a neutral safety switch near the transmission. So I mounted it behind the seat instead, and ran a cable to it. I used a 1960’s Chevy pickup switch, $16 from Amazon. I also used a Schwinn bicycle brake cable from Walmart. The beauty of using an OEM style switch is that the car will start in both park and neutral, when you wire it through the two terminals I am pointing to. You could also use the other two terminals, and wire in backup lights if so desired. I drilled multiple holes in the switch “lever” to adjust the amount of travel. After about 10 minutes of cable adjustments and trying different holes, I got it to work perfectly.

1578B575-1A59-466F-9894-047CF79D1713.jpeg 49394D77-4D4A-4747-B2D1-73164FF134A1.jpeg BEA93F6D-A9E9-45E3-9C41-F1D511F7FC42.jpeg C49C5EEB-7320-4C6B-912B-3EC981A35A98.jpeg 92CD5340-D0A3-4DAA-8AA3-A88FAB7CFB8B.jpeg

I talked to a guy who was standing beside his t and reached and started it. It was in drive.it drug him up to the house and bruise him bad. I then went and bought a nuetral switch,and put on my t. It only starts in park. I had stood beside my t many times and started it. Live and learn. .i guess .

That’s a tough way to learn. I have a stick shift. A bit harder to rig up a neutral safety switch.

G'Day Neshkoro,
Easy way to rig a "Neutral Safety Sw" on the manual is to rig a brake light Sw into the start circuit on the clutch pedal. (pedal has to be depressed when starting.) lots of current model cars have this setup,ie; fott has to be on the brake to start an Auto or on the clutch to start a manual.
Regards,

Aus Bucket, you are quite correct. That could be an easy fix. I’ve been driving stick shift cars since the day I started driving. Going on 57 years. It was always my habit to depress the clutch while starting the car. Since I do that anyway I suppose adding that could be an added safety feature!

That’s a tough way to learn. I have a stick shift. A bit harder to rig up a neutral safety switch.
Clutch safety switch is best. Makes it a pita when working on it, but makes you disengage the clutch before starting it. I learned the hard way too about it... as a young guy.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back