Ron Pope Motorsports                California Custom Roadsters               

Chevy C20 Steering box

well here it is my first forum technical question. i have a line on a steering column from a 1968 or so (second gen anyway) chevy c20; it has a manual steering box. if i tried to use the box i would have to turn it on its side to get the pitman arm in the proper location but i'm curious if any experienced soul out there knows of any reason why i shouldn't or couldn't use this box.

bonus question: when i read references to a corvair box in regards to the t-bucket it's referred to as "reversed". can someone explain what modification deems it so?

I have a 1966 Chevy Impala manual steering box in my T Bucket. It too, is turned on its side. No problems so for (30+ years).
The output shaft points to the left.
Bill

when i read references to a corvair box in regards to the t-bucket it's referred to as "reversed". can someone explain what modification deems it so?

In the original Corvair, the box was located ahead of the tie rod, meaning that it was essentially backwards in that chassis, relative to other cars. So, you have to reverse the gears to make it steer correctly when mounted in a T-bucket. Otherwise steering inputs will be opposite what they should be - hard to drive that way! I think all the aftermarket Corvair boxes come reversed.

Funny story: The grandfather of the T-bucket, Norm Grabowski (RIP) upon completion of his T-bucket back in the '50's had to drive it home from his friend's garage with the Corvair box unreversed! He did it with no incidents. That's a feat!!! :confused::laugh:

Would make a great anti-theft device thou! :)

In the original Corvair, the box was located ahead of the tie rod, meaning that it was essentially backwards in that chassis, relative to other cars. So, you have to reverse the gears to make it steer correctly when mounted in a T-bucket. Otherwise steering inputs will be opposite what they should be - hard to drive that way! I think all the aftermarket Corvair boxes come reversed.
i think the c20 box has a similar location. i'm in no position to doubt the countless people who have done this mod but i wonder why one simply can't change the orientation of the pitman arm. there's clearly something i'm missing.

I have a 1966 Chevy Impala manual steering box in my T Bucket. It too, is turned on its side. No problems so for (30+ years).
The output shaft points to the left.
Bill
that's encouraging and thanks for the input. i'll have to examine the c20 arrangement again but do you recall if the impala box was situated in front of the linkage? trying to sort out if i need to reverse this box.

always thought that was a depressing song unknowing at the time how prophetic it might become.

a less grim but similarly cautionary tale is the pixar film, wall-e.

i gotta go look at some t-buckets now and cheer my self up.

That steering box is quite large ......the reason for the steering arm orientation has to do with preventing bump steer with side delivery ( push/ pull ) steering vs. cross steer...... plus packaging ( where to put it )

That steering box is quite large ......the reason for the steering arm orientation has to do with preventing bump steer with side delivery ( push/ pull ) steering vs. cross steer...... plus packaging ( where to put it )

i've never held a commonly-used vega or corvair steering box in my hand so i've no perspective of its size. the c20 box really doesn't seem all that big however and there was a time before corvairs and catalogs where guys used something else. not that i'm some kind of purist trying to make a period correct car. i'm just a guy trying to do this on a budget and 450 bucks for a new box seems steep if i can avoid it.

Funny story: The grandfather of the T-bucket, Norm Grabowski (RIP) upon completion of his T-bucket back in the '50's had to drive it home from his friend's garage with the Corvair box unreversed! He did it with no incidents. That's a feat!!! :confused::laugh:

I lied . . . it wasn't a Corvair box (Corvair did not see production until 1960 ), but another steering box (Ford truck ?) that needed to be reversed. The rest of the story is true!:p

Small Ford pickup (. Ranger) used a reasonably small box...20 years ago I removed 3 corvair boxes in a local boneyard for $25.( For all three ) I'm guessing what with state and federal " beautification programs" ,can't have those awful unsightly junkyards &the cash for clunkers thing that went , on the availability just isn't there ....

Last edited:
I lied . . . it wasn't a Corvair box (Corvair did not see production until 1960 ), but another steering box (Ford truck ?) that needed to be reversed. The rest of the story is true!:p

i thought about that but wanted to concentrate on one steering box dilemma at a time.

Small Ford pickup (. Ranger) used a reasonably small box...20 years ago I removed 3 corvair boxes in a local boneyard for $25.( For all three ) I'm guessing what with state and federal " beautification programs" ,can't have those awful unsightly junkyards &the cash for clunkers thing that went , on the availability just isn't there ....

i'll check that ranger option out, thanks!

You got it! Use what you have. In my case it is an old GM column (79 Trans Am) and a Vega box I received from a friend.

Ron Pope Motorsports                Advertise with Us!     
Back